The KALEIGH B and her transformation

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: The KALEIGH B and her transformation

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:24 pm

OK, I'll try to explain:

DDW, or wing 'n' wing, the wind is from behind. There is no apparent wind, i.e. the windex is not lying to you. The sails are out perpendicular (or so) to boat centerline. If you are smart, you are using a preventer of some sort on the main. You steer a course that keeps the wind coming from behind. Not much chance of a capsize unless you are in big chop/waves, bury the bow, and pitchpole (more likely on a multihull), or you get a really fast shift of over 80-90 degrees - not very likely . Life is good until you run out of lake or whatever you are sailing on. Then you either heave-to and stop, or bear away on a reach.

When sailing close-hauled, as close to the wind as you can, shifts just tend to luff the sails and/or make the boat round up (assuming a correctly tuned rig). A big gust from the side can make the boat feel like it's going over, but easing the sheets and hiking out *should* level her out again. This is assuming one has reefed the main BEFORE encountering such conditions ...

To my mind, sailing on any reach - particularly beam or broad - presents the highest risk of capsize, because again, capsize is most likely to occur any time the boom swings uncontrolled from one side of the boat to the other. On a reach, as the true wind is coming from further astern, shifts can more easily catch the main leech and throw the boom over ...

I guess what I'm really getting at here is that a capsize is much more likely to occur when the wind is from off the stern than off the bow.

Please tell me if I am way off base on any of this, and go ahead and have at me, but this has been my experience so far with The Red Witch, and we've had no capsizes yet (touch wood!) ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:17 pm

I'll let others weigh in. I really don't get a lot of occasions to sail on a broad reach.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Baysailer posted this link back in 2010. It was written for the Hampton One Design but some of the issues are applicable to the DS. I copied the article into WORD and saved it in my "boat stuff" folder on my computer and re-read it from time to time.

http://www.hamptononedesign.com/the-boa ... t-handling
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby seandwyer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks, ChrisB, for the Hampton site. Good info!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Great article Chris - thanks! I think I remember reading it when Baysailer first posted it ...
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 am

The transformation... Always moving forward. Last week I posted about our first time sailing on Lake Webster, $50 bucks to use the ramp but thats another story. We had great air. With inexperience anything can happen. Leaving it at this... We broke the boom crutch/support. I never really liked the way it worked, nor did my wife who had the boom drop on her more than once. It also seemed to get in my way of other things, no matter where I put it. So with this our topping lift was born. The picture is the setup on the port side of the mast. The line runs down to a halyard shackle that I attach to he rear most hole on the boom. The other end is made up to a cleat that I attached to the same side of the mast about a foot up from the other cleats that control the main and jib halyards. When the main sail is up, the pressure is off the topping lift and I undo the shackle.

@ KC Did you buy the mast from the sailor who was parting out his damaged DSI? My father met that guy the other day, by sheer coincidence, started shooting the breeze and said he had read posts about the KALEIGH B. He had a mast strapped to his roof that day.
Attachments
image.jpg
Topping lift hardware
image.jpg (56.11 KiB) Viewed 12292 times
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:46 am

Yep, that was Chris and he was transporting the mast to Lowell where we met at his work and moved the mast to the roof of my minivan. Got to love this forum!

I never tried the boom crunch, but use my topping lift all the time.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 pm

If there is any question whatsoever as to the ease with which the "pull-down-to-release" mainsheet cam cleat works, this should put all minds at rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y3W8nJbzb8

OK, OK, I know, don't flame me, we were drifting around on the lake in the rain! But it was another awesome chance to get Ella on the water. Deer flies notwithstanding ... <grrrrr>
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:I never tried the boom crunch, but use my topping lift all the time.

Always thought it was called boom "crutch" :?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

"Boom, crunch" was what I did when I backed and turned the trailer too close to the grape arbor and swung the mast into it. :)
Alan

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:30 pm

I recently added "newer"sails to the KALEIGH B. We purchased a matched set of Doyle Cressy sails including a spinnaker . They were advertised here on the forum. I bought the best set they had. Awesome condition. The guys meticulously took care of these sails. They were the last real piece of the puzzle left to make this complete.

The boat has been away for about a month now. It got a good scub down with soft scrub, buffed out with Meguires Marine Compound and finished with a Maguires Marine Wax. Everything was stripped from the boat, cleaned and put away. The running rigging was soaked, cleaned and hung to dry. The standing rigging was removed from the spars, carefully examined for "fish hooks", labeled and put away. I designed a frame using EMT conduit and some well placed supports. I covered it with a tarp that stretched over the whole boat.

I took an exceptional amount of time putting her away because she will more than likely stay in moth balls this coming season. We bought another boat... A 1986 Catalina 22 named Debba III. I don't want to sell the KALEIGH B prematurely. I am going to use the new boat and see how it is going to work for our family, making a decision next fall about the daysailer.

This site has been an awesome. I have spent countless hours thumbing through posts and pictures. My time getting this boat together was made that much easier with all the posts I read here.

So keep your eyes open next fall, remembering that everything is for sale.

Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby jeadstx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:38 pm

You need to keep and sail both.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 pm

Whatever gets you on the water most often.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Hope you all had a great off season, if you can call it that. We recently purchased a Catalina 22 and are getting ready to launch her for the season. What I am thinking is... What to do with the Kaleigh B. I wonder just what I can get for it out in the Daysailer world.

There has been the addition of matched Doyle sails, including a spinnaker and pole as well. The rigging hasn't been set up yet. We bought the new boat so I held up on the rigging. These sails are in amazing condition. I feel guilty just thinking about selling her.

What are your thoughts guys? What do you think her value is?

TBone

Thomasjbrothersjr

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement