Attaching a motor for my Day Sailer

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Attaching a motor for my Day Sailer

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2001 1:46 pm

Y have a small motor (3,5 HP) Short extension, for to be instaled in my Day Sailer.
I need know if This motor apropiated or is necesary a motor whith large extensiòn.

In this situation is posibility any adaptation for the instaled the motor short extension.

excused for translation, i was wondering if any of you reply my questiòn

I live in Santiago of Chile South America

hector delgado (hector.delgado-at-cl.eyi.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:29 pm

You should be able to use a short-shaft motor on a Day Sailer I or II in mostly calm waters. I used a short-shaft 2.3hp Johnson outboard on my boat, clamped right onto the transom and it worked fine. I did have to sit on the same side as the motor if it got rough, but 90% of the time it worked great.
However, if you have a Day Sailer III, you will need a long-shaft outboard or an add-on mounting bracket because those boats had a higher transom.
Even on the DS I or DS II, a long-shaft is better, but not mandatory. Most outboard makers do offer a shaft-extension for their motors, check with a dealer. You did not mention what brand outboard you have, but if it is a NISSAN, a shaft extension will be available. The same parts should also fit a TOHATSU, MERCURY or JOHNSON/EVINRUDE 3.3/3.5. However, you may find that the cost for the parts and any labor to install them may not be all that much less than the cost of a new long-shaft motor, assuming that you can trade the old motor for part of the price.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 22, 2001 1:36 pm

Thanks for you post

I have other question

In case of capsize, the outboard motor is security or this is missing

For you is the daysailer a security boat for family use

hector delgado (hector.delgado-at-cl.eyi.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:43 pm

I think you are asking about how suited is the Day Sailer for family sailing? If so, I would say that it is a great boat for that use. Many families spend a lot of very enjoyable time sailing in a Day Sailer. A few precautions should be taken; first always check the weather, you do not want to get caught out in a storm. Second, it is best for all aboard to wear a properly fitted Life Jacket just in case. Third, when sailing ALWAYS have the mainsheet in your hand! You can use the camcleat to hold the tension, but always keep the mainsheet in your hand so that if a gust of wind comes you can release the sheet and spill the wind from the sail. I have been sailing my Day Sailer on a windy bay for 4 seasons now and have not even come close to capsizing, I sail alone so it is only my weight and the ability to easily release the mainsheet that has kept the boat upright. I also often sail without the jib, or with a reef in the sail. A reef is a method of reducing the size of the sail by either rolling the sail around the boom, or by a set of reefpoints, these are hard to explain, but are basically a set of grommets in a line about 18" above the boom and through which I thread lines to tie around the boom and hold the sail in this reduced size. (look in a sailing "how-to" book for pictures)The outboard can be removed and placed in the cuddy while sailing if you wish, but be sure to secure it in place so that it will not slide around or move when you tack or the boat hits a wave. I keep mine on the transom all the time, it is clamped securely and I also have it padlocked to prevent theft. On the Day Sailer II you will need to place a 3/8-1/2" (about 1 cm to 1.25 cm) thick piece of wood or other material between the outside of the transom and the motor clamps to better hold the motor on and prevent damage to the transom from the clamps.
Hope this helps!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement