DS 1 Renovation

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 Renovation

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:55 pm

Greetings...I have acquired what appears to be a Day Sailor I but have been unable to come across any numbers. I am interested in doing a complete renovation but I have never seen a DS I of early vintage complete. I also have questions regarding rigging, especially for ease of singlehanding. I have enjoyed pouring over all of the information contained in this site but now require the ability to actually see and be able to ask some questions as I progress. Is there anyone in the New York City area who has a DS I in original condition. I am in Broad Channel, Queens on Jamaica Bay, have many pictures of the boat in its before stages (I am just beginning the work) and would be willing travel to see anyones boat for ideas etc.

David Symmonds (david.symmonds-at-db.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 10, 2001 9:26 pm

Greetings All..!! No response to my earlier post in March...Probably still too cold. Seems to be alot of attention and posts now that the weather has broken. Update to previous post: I am underway on my reno job...and the previous owner finally found the sails packed away in his attic. It ws my last hope at numbers adn viola...DS 96..! She has seen alot of wear and tear but seems otherwise very sound. Have stripped out all seats and coamings and am in process of refinishing back to bright from green porch paint, removed 1/2" plywood flooring material and have painted all cockpit and interior sections. I have surveyed all hardware and have ordered the must have from Cape Cod. Still would love to see a Golden Oldie..!! Would even like info on class sailing in my area to get better acquainted with these vessels. My goal is to have a sail by Memorial Day and then shake things out from there. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

David Symmonds (David.Symmonds-at-db.com)

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2001 4:17 am

Hi Dave
Don't give up hope. I'm in Ohio, but I bought my boat about 3 years ago on Long Island. I bought a DS2, but when I was looking for a boat, I remember seeing a number of DS1s. There is a place in Amityville, I think it is called the Dinghy Den, or something like that, My Dad bought me a Spin. pole there, you might call them and see if they know of any.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement