Jib fairlead conversion, which block?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib fairlead conversion, which block?

Postby fatire » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Forum Members,
DSII noob here.
I have read with interest many posts on converting the fairleads to the CB trunk and am ready to pull the trigger.
Was going to use swivel base cam cleats but decided maybe that's over kil so I've settled on the Racelite RL-261-S - Camcleat with flange base and strap from Duckworks. No comes the task of selecting an appropriate block to replace the original fairlead/cam cleat assembly on the tracks. Looks like I need a block that will attach to the clevis pin that secures old FL. But which one, there are so many styles?

It looks as if a swivel pin connection like RL305B is ideal but there are no measurements as to the width of the "pin bracket". The orig fitting has 3/4 spacing.
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/bl ... /index.htm

As there are so many shiv sizes and attachment schemes I thought I'd seek the wisdom of the forum.

Many thanks and fair winds.
Steve from NH
fatire

Re: Jib fairlead conversion, which block?

Postby fatire » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Well I'll answer my own question in the hopes that anybody else who comes along in my shoes might benefit, which Chuck at Duckworks helped me with below:

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the response, I re-measured the inside of that shackle and it's a solid .750" or 12/16ths so the .
Rather then the double shackle what about simply using a RL-621-B and running my existing clevis pin through the eye-strap?
Also, do you stock all thr RL hardware, specifically the RL-261S and the RL-621B?
Thanks
Steve

Steve:
The outside measurement on that swivel is about 13/16ths. But you might be able to bend that a bit to fit. Another idea would be to use an RL-393 swivel with an RL-301-B block. That swivel is only 9/16” across so would fit ok. It would look a little cobbled but it should work.
You have a good point about the RL-261S – If you can get ¾” screws into your centerboard trunk it should be fine. If they have to be shorter, at least get #8 screws.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Chuck

Hi Chuck,
I'm doing a common modification on my Oday DSIIs jib sheet system, replacing the traveler mounted fairlead/cam cleat assembly with a block and then mounting cam cleats to the CB trunk for better single hand control.
The traveler is pictured below and I want to mount a swivel block on the existing traveler car pin.
There is 3/4" width inside the car flanges so what I'm trying to learn is what the outside width of the shackle on your Racelite RL305B is?
I've searched the web but this dimension on Racelite and other blocks doesn't seem to ever be listed.
The other question I have while I got you is on mounting of Racelite RL-261-S - Camcleat with flange base and strap.
It seems to me that using properly bedded screws should be adequate because each has four fix points and most force is lateral but I'd like your opinion.
Through bolting into the CB trunk top is problematic for several reasons!
fatire

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 am

Thanks for posting this.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby dbk0630 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

If you're replacing the jib blocks I strongly suggest using ratchet blocks instead of regular blocks. There have been several discussions on the list regarding the benefits of ratchet blocks -- for example see this thread http://www.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3705. I now have a set of Ronstan RF46100 ratchet blocks attached to the jib cars as you describe and have been very happy with them.
Dave K.
dbk0630

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:08 am

Yes, definitely worth it. I only did the main so far, but jib blocks are on the list..
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement