reducing weight aloft

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: reducing weight aloft

Postby UCanoe_2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 am

Just a thought -- I haven't tried this. Paint the foam and noodles to protect them from UV. Use latex paint, because solvent based paints may dissolve the foam.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby Baysailer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:48 am

Back to KC's original query to reduce weight aloft seems like foam and noodles are working in the wrong direction. I recall a post by Phil Root a while back whee he removed the foam in his original mast to reduce the weight. It seems a better approach would be to seal the mast and maybe even pressurize it a small amount. Probably not practical with all the fitting holes for tangs, vangs, spreader brackets, etc but I'm sure the mast could be sealed some with silicone where needed.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby jpclowes » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Back to KC's original query. Part of the advantage of the tapered mast is not only less weight aloft, but it is also added flexibility. The tapered mast is more flexible aloft, and when a puff hits the boat the mast bends more and gives more "shock" absorption. That is part of the reason the DS removed the jumper stays from the top of the mast.

IMHO drilling holes aloft would weaken the structure of the mast, and possibly cause it to buckle. But I really don't know. I haven't tried it.

I really think there is an advantage to the tapered mast. I was the only non-tapered mast at the DS North American Championships last week, in Annapolis, and I'd like to think it was at least part of the reason I finished in the bottom third of the fleet. :)
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement