Snapped Mast on a Sailstar Explorer (Counterfeit Daysailor)

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Snapped Mast on a Sailstar Explorer (Counterfeit Daysailor)

Postby waterbug » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Greetings!
I have read the posts I could find here about the possibility of repairing a snapped mast. I want to attempt to do this rather than replace the mast if possible. The mast on my sailstar explorer 17 (which I recently bought for $1 because of the mast situation) is broken pretty cleanly in half. One end has a slight curve to it. From reading posts here it would seem that sleeving the mast with a 3' or so section and riveting it, not welding, is the way to go. SInce Sailstars are supposed to be pretty similar to Daysailors, will a section of daysailor mast work, does anyone know?
Thank you!
Peter.1628
waterbug

Re: Snapped Mast on a Sailstar Explorer (Counterfeit Daysail

Postby jdoorly » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:36 am

Of the many many Oday Daysailers there are at least half a dozen different masts types used so I can't tell you which one you have. Hopefully someone on this site has a Sailstar and can tell you what they have. But for now maybe the following will help. Does your mast have a manufacturer's label (so you can at least start at the correct place)? My mast is a Dwyer DM-284, here is list of the mast profiles that Dwyer makes...
https://www.dwyermast.com/families.asp?cat1ID=20&cat1Name=Masts
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Re: Snapped Mast on a Sailstar Explorer (Counterfeit Daysail

Postby UCanoe_2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Peter, I broke the mast on my DS I last fall. It was beyond repair, so I found a good used mast from another boat. It is not the DM-284 profile, but it's pretty close. My project for the weekend is installing all the DS fittings on the replacement mast and making it fit my boat. Stay tuned for photos; sometimes I am pretty slow posting.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Return to Repair and Improvement