Replacement of Bailer Assbly in DSII

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacement of Bailer Assbly in DSII

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2001 10:56 am

Has anyone replaced their bailer assbly in a DSII? My problem seems to be that after removing the (corroded) nut in the transom well, the assembly is still firmly attached to the hull. Need other bits be removed to release it? Please help!

Bill Mahoney (wmahoey-at-smsllc.com)

Postby boone » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:01 am

Bill, I replaced mine a few years ago. I removed an old metal bailer and replaced it with a plastic bailer from D&R. When I tried to remove the thin nut, it actually sheared off the top of the bailer, and it all slid right out. I suspect yours is just stuck due to the corrosion. Maybe try to whack it carefully with a mallet or something.

My plastic replacement didn't fill the original tube hole completely, but the end pieces of the plastic bailer covered the necessary area.
boone
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2001 12:25 pm

I had the plastic bailer on my 1979 model, but it had been removed by the previous owner so he could replace it, he never did, so I bought a new one from D&R Marine and installed it. Very easy, but yours may be held in by corosion as Mike says, or by the sealant.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:05 pm

I change the bayler of my DS2.

The old localization was closed whit fiberglass, and the new bayler was installed at side of the old localization.

Excuse for translation

hector delgado (hector.delgado-at-cl.eyi.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 03, 2001 9:14 am

Bill,
When I replaced the original bailer on my '80 DSII, after I finally got the nut off I had to take a small keyhole saw and place inside the hole anf cut thru to fiberglass and still have to knock it out with a hammer and chisel. Putting in the new plastic replacement was fairly easy but you have to fill alot on the side with goop.

Dan Wilhelm (dwilhelm43-at-aol.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement