crack at base of swing keel n 1990 daysailer

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

crack at base of swing keel n 1990 daysailer

Postby wayrider » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 1990 daysailer on ebay. However, there is a crack at the base of the swing keel housing. The bid now is at $750, less than an hour to go. Looks like a decent boat from the photos - trailer included. My question - how serious an issue does this present? This is the area most sensitive to pressure in the hull. Here is a picture.
Thanks folks!

Bill
Attachments
swing keel on 1990 rebel daysailer.jpg
swing keel housing crack
swing keel on 1990 rebel daysailer.jpg (110.67 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
wayrider

Re: crack at base of swing keel n 1990 daysailer

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Bill,

If that is the only issue with the boat, it's not a big deal and an easy repair.

Of course, one has to wonder why it would have cracked. It almost looks like it was a factory defect, in that case an easy repair. If it cracked because of stress on the hull from underneath, then there might be other issues. The Rebel boats have a balsa wood core in the hull. This makes a nice stiff boat if no water has penetrated the core. If the boat has any cracks that have allowed water to penetrate the core it will have soft spots where the core has rotted. If it's a localized spot it's not too bad a repair. However, it can be a real problem to repair if the area or areas are large and need to be re-cored.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Re: crack at base of swing keel n 1990 daysailer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 am

Mine is cracked there (perhaps not as deeply) but I've never seen reason to worry about it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement