Taking the plunge on refit.

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Taking the plunge on refit.

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

For clamping the support under the cuddy the floor, you could upgrade to the smallest size Am Steel, which would not cost much. Instead of just weighting the lines you could use something with some mechanical purchase, like a ratchet strap, connected to the cuddy or through the mast partner.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Talbot,

The bow flotation tank in my 1980 DSII is open to the bilge, so yours probably is as well. (I found this out when I put an inspection port in the forward cuddy bulkhead).

I put mi port in the vertical center of the bulkhead, and I'm able to put my arm into it and place my hand in the bilge. Maybe if you installed a port lower in the bulkhead you could reach the underside of the cuddy floor. At the least, it would give you a good way to get an inspection mirror into position to look at the cuddy floor.

This assumes an upright boat, now that I think of it. With the boat upside down, climbing to the end of the cuddy might be more problematic. Hmmm.....
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Since your DS2 has a double hull, are you going add an inspection port inside the cuddy cabin to be able to have better access? I have two 6" inspection ports that I have added to my cuddy cabin.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 pm

John,

Are your ports in the cuddy floor? I've been thinking of putting one there so I can install a bilge pump.

I'm pretty sure I remember supporting crossmembers under the cuddy floor just aft and just forward of the mast. Did you find those in your boat?
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Alan, I put two 6" ports in the cuddy floor aft of the mast, one to each side about a foot of the centerline and about 12"-15" aft of the mast (I could measure to be sure, it's been a couple years). My reason for installing them was for storage of some water and items that did not have to accessed in an emergency while sailing the Texas 200. I do not remember hitting any cuddy floor supports. I seem to remember a support just forward of the port while trying to add a loop bracket (for attachment of a lanyard).

I could measure this weekend and take pictures if you are interested.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby Alan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks, John. It seems the weekend has snuck up already.

If you could take photos without too much trouble, that would be great. If not, I'm thinking I might be able to lower a camera into the bilge from the inspection port in the cuddy bulkhead.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the supports I'm talking about are the stringers that Talbot referred to in the gelcoat blisters thread.
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Alan, yes the weekend came and went and the weather was really bad here and I didn't get anywhere near the boat even tho it is in my yard. I'll try to get some measurements and pictures for you, probably after Thanksgiving as I will be out of town.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby Alan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks, John. There's definitely no hurry on the photos. I probably won't have a chance to work on my boat until early next year.

I know the feeling about getting near the boat, but my situation is from lack of time, not bad weather. I just now found a minute to jack up the front end of the trailer enough to drain the water that got into the bilge last September. And I've got a list of repair projects long enough to fill a couple of winters.
Alan

Postby curifin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 pm

What size line does everyone use with the split tail or bridal setup? Looks a lot smaller that what I have on my mid boom.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby curifin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Pics of work on boat

1970 DS1 "Denial"
curifin

Postby curifin » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:51 pm

OMG will the sanding never end..... I have just about finished the topsides and cabin area..... my hands are still vibrating...... After lots of thought I think I will just do the entire interior except the seats with epoxy.... The original setup was gelcoat on the forward tank, keel, trunk cap, and sets, something flecked and flat everywhere else.

I am thinking about doing everything in PPG aquapon or TileClad.... Then prime the seats and deck with 2 part prime kote and paint with perfection. This is getting ridiculously expensive.

Have decided to ditch the bootstripe and just paint from top of stripe down with performance epoxy.... line up will be perfection in blue.

sigh... I had no idea how much work this would be when I started pulling stuff off.... I took a break from sanding and reworked and properly insulated the wiring harness.... I am thinking of doing a hybrid setup and adding a honda genset and 20 amp on board charger... I just am not excited about a gas outboard after a season with the trolling motor. As weak as it is, it is quiet and very easy to deal with.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
curifin

Postby Mike Gillum » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 am

My longtime Split Tail Bridle has 1/8" diameter Spectra for the tails and 3/8" diameter for rest of the mainsheet along with a pair of ratchet blocks on the boom and mainsheet base.
Mike Gillum

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:59 am

So true, it does seem like the sanding is never ending. This is why it's often called a labor of love. You've got to love these old boats. Believe me, when you finish this project and it's all shiny, you will get spontaneous complements from complete strangers.

I know you said it's getting ridiculously expensive. I don't know how much finish sanding you have left to do, but I recently purchased the best electric random orbit sander I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of them. My preference for speed, performance, and low vibration is my Dynabrade air sander but to do a job the size of a boat takes a couple of thousand dollars or more in compressor and air handling equipment. For $90 the DeWalt D26456 low-profile sander is amazingly fast and low vibration compared to any other electric sander I have or have used. It is actually very close to what the air sander does.

When I overhauled the bottom of my boat I went to the top of the boot stripe, though I left the original gelcoat on the top sides. I occasionally think about doing the stripe but so far I'm happy enough with the way it looks. This year (soon to be last year) I did touch up all of the gouges and wet sanded/compounded/polished the top sides. It's not perfect, but it looks amazingly good for a 40-year-old boat.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby seandwyer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Talbot,

If you're still wondering about your transom, I can speak to that of the DS1--but I'm not sure how that translates to a DS2. If you have questions, let me know. I replaced all the wood in mine last spring. A straightforward, messy bunch of grinding and glass work, but nothing too bad--just awkward doing all that work under the rear half-deck (a lot of laying face down with a grinder way too close to my face). I believe it to be the most solid part of the boat now. So worth it!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby curifin » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:38 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! It is so very nice to have a user group with experience to talk to.

@seandwyer - I read all your posts with gusto - most helpful, thank you for taking the time to post!

I ground down to good wood and laid up a combination of chopped strand and woven cloth, put like 3 coats of 406 (thickened to snot) west, sanding with 40 grit in between and topped with 3 coats neat epoxy.... I feel pretty good about it.... kicked it several times hard and hurt my foot but no cracking or detectable movement.... makes a nice solid "thump"!

@K.C. - I was too cheap for an air rig but I have a dewalt RO hooked to my shop vac... its doing the job but man.... it was the little nooks and crannies that were killing me.... basically everyone the old factory gel coat met the chalky pink with grey flecked "pink" hull coating. I was using a combination of pressing the edge of the sanding disk in and then hand sanding with what was left of the disk.... good lord.

This afternoon, I had a breakthrough though! The Dremmel with these puffy "buffing"/"cleaning" ends eat through crap and old gelcoat like a saw...... i can hold the shop vac head at an angle and viola, instant removal and no dust! If you have not tried this I highly recommend it - WAY WAY WAY better than the sanding discs, the grinding cones, or the "flap disk". You go through the little suckers pretty quick but they mold to the nook you are sanding and just eat through that crap..... WORLD of difference - I did the edges of both seat tanks in like 20 minutes.

I have determined to coat the entire inside with PPG Aquapon (thanks for the rec!) in white except the seat tanks, which I will tape off and then do in flattened white perfection to match the deck - am planning on using the flattening agent and simply wearing good deck shoes - the intergrip looks like too much trouble and seems to produce more variable results. I am going to epoxy the entire interior, the wood reinforcers under the thwarts and cuddy, which the PO had encapsulated in epoxy, were all dinged up and honestly, at this point I just want something I can pressure wash out when I am cleaning up the boat. A nice, clean, white uniform and hard surface would be great. I have ground the old encapsulation coat back to wood and think a couple of coats of epoxy will seal that sucker up and make it nice, hard, and smooth. That has been my major dilemma.... what to use and how to pain the inside. The factory had the forward tank, keelson, keel trunk cap, and seats done in gelcoat and the rest in "something hard." Keeping this two tone job would be a LOT of extra painting work to do it right - So I pretty much decided the tank, keelson, and supports can all be one type/color/finish, and the keel cap, seats, and deck can match.....

I priced Sherwin Williams Tile Clad, 200 bucks for the 2 gal kit - yikes! The Aquapon looks like a better deal at about 100 bucks for 2 gal kit 1 gal of base and 1 gal of reactor. My other option I was seriously considering was simply using freaking performance epoxy on the entire inside.... I think a 1 gal kit would do it and it is the same price as the tile clad...... I want epoxy on the inside so it looks like Aquapon wins.

I finished prepping the rudder and finally dropped the centerboard! Its ON NOW! - all in pretty good shape... A few dings on the centerboard but the pivot joint is good. The PO either did, or had someone do, a good amount of "race quality" work on the rudder and centerboard. Both are smoothly sanded and shaped gel.... I am planning on filling, fairing and painting with performance epoxy - 4 coats and then sand like hell for a slick, and from what I read, extremely hard finish.

I think waterline down will be performance epoxy with waterline up in blue.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
curifin

PreviousNext

Return to Repair and Improvement