Installing Roller Furling on the headsail

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Installing Roller Furling on the headsail

Postby Skippa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 am

I am considering converting the headsail to roller furling on my DS II. At this point I am not committed to the idea but trying to do some research. I have seen very little in my search for information.
A couple of questions come to mind and the answers may well determine if I actually make the change.
1. What modification will be required to the sail? (one year old Intensity with hanks)
2. Will the head stay be eliminated?
3. Anybody done this and regretted it?

I had a roller furling headsail on a larger boat and thought it was the first thing I would replace after the purchase, Came to love it very quickly.
Thanks for any info and feedback

P.S.
My original search was confined to "repair and improvement" so it was limited. I have found more information on a broader search but still have interest in any feedback, Thanks again.
Skippa

Re: Installing Roller Furling on the headsail

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 am

I have a roller furler on my Doyle UPS headsail. That's out of necessity, because it's too big to tack within the foretriangle, but I absolutely love it. I've also got one that I plan to install on my regular jib.

I should note that I'm barely past the rookie stage when it comes to sailing a Daysailer, and more skilled sailors might well tell you that roller furling is expensive, complicated, and most likely to fail just when you need it most. I heard that last one from a guy who gave me lessons in a Hobie 33, and I've got a world of respect for him. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of a jib downhaul if you need to shorten sail in a hurry.

However, there's also a lot to be said for roller furling, as I think you agree.

And now you've got me tempted. I have an Intensity jib, maybe half a year old. I THINK it will accommodate a roller furler, but I need to find out. So, somewhere in the next few days, I need to rig the boat, install the roller furler, and see what happens. Among other things, I need to adjust the multiple windings of string (Talbot, we need the proper jargon here) that connect the jib tack grommet to the same thimble that the luff wire is connected to.

Intensity jib tack.jpg
Intensity jib tack.jpg (137.21 KiB) Viewed 8493 times

I think the luff wire will support roller furling, but the way it's set up now, the fabric of the sail will take all of the load. Probably not good.
Alan

Postby Clyde » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:09 pm

I think it depends a lot on the conditions you are willing to sail in. I have found I need the jib on my DS1 to make any progress to windward but that could be because my sails are old. I too had a furling jib on my 30 footer and loved it but haven't thought it necessary on the DS. If you are concerned only with getting the sail down without leaving the cockpit I'd suggest running a downhaul lihe up through the hanks and to a small block at the tack, then into the cockpit. I've found this adequate - and safe as I almost always sail alone. I'm sure there will be opinions to the contrary!
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Postby Skippa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Clyde,
Thanks for the reply, Our situation and experience seems very similar, I think the DS is on the lower edge of benefit from roller furling. I keep my boat on a mooring during the sailing season and the biggest benefit for me would be time saving on set up and put away.
But, It is the middle of winter in Minnesota and I need things that remind me this too shall pass.
Thanks again,
Kevin
Skippa

Postby jeadstx » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it you can't use a jib with hanks on it for a furler to work properly. I've been told that the jib luff fits a track which allows it to roll/furl.

Personally, I use a jib down haul. I recently purchased an O'Day Mariner that the previous owner kept the sails on the boat all the time. To reduce time getting the jib ready he had a jib bag on the bow. When he got ready to raise the jib, he opened the bag and raised the jib as it was already hanked to the forestay. The bag kept the sail protected when not sailing. Might be a good altenative to putting a furler on.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

You can use a jib that has a wire luff, but then it replaces the headstay. I have a setup like that on my other dinghy and use it often. It's a bit of a pain when rigging, because you have to use a halyard as a temporary stay while raising the mast, but it's convenient afterwards. During our weekly beer can races, I can leave the jib furled while hanging around before the start. Deploying it is easier and quicker than raising the hanked jib on my DS, mainly because the halyard tension is unchanged, all I need to do is sheet it in.

I also get to furl it when using a spinnaker. On the DS I would leave the jib up.

By not using a profile around which to furl, the flow over the jib is not disturbed, and the setup is lighter.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement