Deck Protection

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Deck Protection

Postby seandwyer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:51 pm

I've been thinking about deck protection lately. For the last several years I have covered my boat in the summer with a tarp thrown over the boom, but the foredeck, being exposed continuously, is showing stress from the sun. Last year, by October the deck was looking sort of chalky and in need of a good buffing. I know this is from the sun and I know I can make it look better by buffing the oxidization off, but I figure every time I do that I'm also removing deck material and there's really a finite number of times you can do something like that.

This summer I'm planning to keep the boat on a lift just above the water and I can only imagine that being surrounded by the reflective property of water all day, every day will only accelerate this problem. So, I'm on the lookout for options.

The first and most obvious thing to do is cover the boat up--throw a tarp over the whole thing. When the mast is up this is a pain in the butt unless you have a special mooring cover. While I'd love to buy one and completely cover the deck, they are really expensive. Since the tarp based cockpit cover takes care of most of my issues, I started thinking about some sort of wax for the deck. About a year ago I asked if anyone knew of something like this, but essentially everyone said it was a bad idea to put wax down on a deck because you'd kill yourself trying to walk on it. While that's a good point, I decided to look on the web this afternoon to see if there was a product that would provide the UV protection I want, but not the slippery surface. Essentially all I want is a non-greasy sun tan lotion for my boat. They make the stuff for people, so why not boats?

I found this stuff made by Aurora (Sure Step) pretty quickly http://www.auroramarine.com/catalog-sure-step.php
Does anyone have experience with this, or something like this? Looks to cost about 28.00 and, since I'm only looking at the foredeck there might be enough in this can for several years. Says two coats last from 4 to 6 months. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has tried something like this--and since I think I'm going to go for it unless someone comes up with a dire warning, I will let you guys know how it goes as things progress this coming season.

If I have to call the Sailor's Tailor I will, but this sounds like it might really be the poor man's answer!

Speaking of this coming season--I couldn't be more ready. It was 45 degrees on Saturday and I caught a real whiff of spring as we repaired some docks out at the lake. Although the ice wasn't showing any signs of letting up, the sun was sending mixed messages of seasonal transition. Then, yesterday, about a 1/4 inch of ice fell on top of us, followed by several inches of snow, and now today the high is about 15!! March is certainly living up to its reputation!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Re: Deck Protection

Postby talbot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Great question. I've used wax and I've used Armour-All. And I have slipped off the deck into the lake. Looking forward to any responses to this query.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:55 pm

In principle, it should not be hard to put a "slit" into a tarp to make it go around the mast. (Or work with two tarps). For the slit idea, one would probably want some additional material for a positive overlap (possibly salvaged from an older tarp - they seem to destruct first in the middle). Some design details to solve, but should be doable and cheaper than a custom fitted one.

For tarps, the ones that have worked the best for me were white (and advertised as "heavy duty"). They reflect more sunlight than the silver ones and when they eventually fail are not as annoying as the latter. I've seen them last for 3-4 seasons - shade in the summer, rain protection in the winter - for the latter purpose, I double them up when they start to age, but for mere sun protection they are effective right to the end.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seandwyer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:30 pm

I can't seem to ever get that many seasons out of a tarp. Two is my record and that's with the most expensive, highest mil count ones they sell at Harbor Freight. OK, perhaps my source for tarps is not the best and that could be the issue, but from what I can see, the problem has to do with snow and ice loads. The tarps always seem fine everywhere except where they bear heavy loads for periods of time. I can't get out to the boat every time it snows to clear it off and so by the end of the winter the weave in those areas begins to fail. By the end of the second winter the tarp no longer keeps precipitation out of the cockpit.

As for trying to make a slit--I don't know. I see what you mean, but it sounds like a big hassle climbing all over the tarp and fastening it down on nothing more than the rub rail when you only have access outside of the boat on one side (on a dock etc). So I'm still thinking about a wax of some sort. Mooring tarps are easy to deploy. Anything I make won't be and will just add more time to the process which is something I have been earnestly trying to cut down on every season.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby talbot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:54 pm

If it make you feel better, my experience with full mast-up boat covers is that they are actually not that easy to deploy and are also awkward to remove and stow before each trip. They do a superior job of protecting the boat, but I doubt they save any time compared to sail covers or boom tent.
talbot

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 am

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-7-ft-T ... /100371851

The above might - I emphasize might - be useful. I'll admit to being tempted. If you could position the zipper just so...

Sean: I would love to hear about your experience with Sure Step. I proposed this to my crew, because we've had a recent conversation about the foredeck surface after she slipped on the landing of our our yard deck the other day. She wants something more substantial than a surface treatment, so I'll need to investigate paint with nubby things in it.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:30 am

This link looks like it matches the tarps I usually get, even though the chain where I actually get them doesn't list them online. This one says 10mil - I have no idea whether that is high or low, I just know these ones work for me in all sorts of conditions.

Link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sigman-10-ft-x-20-ft-White-Heavy-Duty-Tarp-WPF010020/202934922

Maker's name on this one: Sigman (in case the link goes dead).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 pm

In central Texas I rarely get longer than 6 months from a tarp. The Texas sun can be brutal, especially during the summer.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby seandwyer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks GL. I will check those out at HD. That sounds pretty heavy weight.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Return to Repair and Improvement