Painting cuddy

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting cuddy

Postby kokko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 am

I painted the cuddy of Truelove over the weekend. I used PPG textured deck paint called Revive or Restore or something. THe idea is that is will fill cracks and hide the underlying texture of old deck boards. I thought it would be just the think for the unfinished fiberglas surfaces below deck.
It is very thick and retains the texture when applied - unlike most paints it does not flow out to a smooth surface. It also has a lot of sand. The can says it will cover 100 sf with two coats and that is about right. I used 3/4 of a gallon with two coats. Since is is intended for decks, it stands up to foot traffic, and can be exposed to the elements.
So far it looks really good. Time will tell how it holds up.

I started thinking about this when I read about KiwiGrip, the non-skid paint. KiwiGrip tech support says there paint does very well for my application. Unforunately, KiwiGrip is ~$65/qt. I looked for something similar, cheaper, and local.

Here in MN lauch is probably still weeks away.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Re: Painting cuddy

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Any picture or updates?
1987DSPrecision

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:08 am

I would think that using non slip paint for painting the inside of the cuddy is not what you'd want. If you have rough spots that you'd like to smooth over, a bit of sanding followed by a fairing compound would seem indicated. I've also had success with applying gel coat from a repair kit (using a spreader). If you do that, first scuff sand. Second, make sure the gel-coat is the kind that air cures (without additional ingredients, normally a wax, gelcoat does not cure if expose to oxygen). Evercoat (?) makes a clear (neutral) gelcoat that air dries. It will fill very shallow rough spots and cure fairly quickly so you can apply a second coat where needed. For deeper cracks/gouges I like 3M High Strength Marine Filler. This is polyester resin with chopped fibers, and is very strong. You want to spread it well, to not require much sanding, although it sands better than epoxy. If you have deeper cracks you should ream them out (make them a bit wider and clean out all loose stuff, that will improve the filling). With proper filler, any decent paint will do. If you expect standing water, use a bilge paint.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:33 am

It worked out really well and looks good in the second season. I will post pics the next time I am at the boat.
I do not dispute that Greenlake's method is effective, but mine is simpler. THe paint is thick and highly filled. It goes on well will a heavy nap roller and covers all the imperfections of the raw fiberglass cuddy. It has stood up to standing water and scrubbing. It stained with leaves in the Fall, but I just dabbed on a bit more paint.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:01 pm

Another interesting alternative is spray-on truck-bed liner. (If you are set up to spray, not sure it can be brushed).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement