pulling centerboard in water

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

pulling centerboard in water

Postby klb67 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:57 pm

I need to pull the centerboard to replace the up haul wire. Can I do it in the water? Has anyone done so? I am happy I ddiscovered that the bolt and bushings must have been replaced shortly before I got the boat. They are in great shape and I easily removed them while the boat was on the trailer just to make sure it was free. I know its possible to yard launch, but I don't have a great spot to do that. I was thinking I could just put the boat in the water, pull the bolt again and drop the board out. Am I missing something?
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Re: pulling centerboard in water

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri May 23, 2014 11:59 pm

klb67, you don't need to drop the CB to replace the CB UH. Just find somewhere to yard-launch/careen the boat, and you can do the job from below w/o CB removal. The UH tang is accessible w/ the board "down". Just run a messenger line thru the UH hole first ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby klb67 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks Tim. I could have added, I noticed a few small voids in the trailing edge of the board, so I was planning to go over and repair the board while its out. I will have to remove the board on one day and probably install it the next. Is the bolt below or above the normal water line?
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat May 24, 2014 2:50 pm

No prob. I believe the bolt is above the waterline, but just barely?

<clicky pic>

Diagram credit: Bob Hunkins (I'm pretty sure)
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Repair and Improvement