Tiller Extension Joint

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tiller Extension Joint

Postby seandwyer » Tue May 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi, Folks,

I've been looking through the site for ideas related to tiller extensions but am not quite finding what I'm looking for. I've been really frustrated recently with my extension because it only pivots from left to right and often is too long to get out of the mainsheet when tacking. I have thought about a more universal joint that gives you another axis, but that still seems limiting.

Recently my son bought a Sunfish that came with a Ronstan battlestick. It uses a piece of very durable urethane rubber as the joint which affords movement of the extension in any conceivable direction. I thought it looked cool, but wondered how durable it could be--you know, when's that thing going to snap. Then I noticed that the tiller extension on the Flying Scot I crew on was of the same make and material--just bigger. So I thought I'd look into one for the DS but found them rather pricey

So, I wonder--why couldn't I just buy the joint and use it with my existing "broom handle" extension? I'm guessing the answer is "no", but has anyone tried this, or does anyone have a better idea? What have you guys done to avoid running into the sheet with your extensions? I sometimes make a tack and then have to actually steet away for a few seconds so as to articulate the joint passed the sheet. Bothersome.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Re: Tiller Extension Joint

Postby kokko » Tue May 27, 2014 3:02 pm

I have used a tiller extention with the rubbery urethane pivot for years. You can buy the replacement rubber joints should it ever fail.

It seem slike you have two problems - you want a tiller extension that can move in 3 axes, and alos one that is not so long that it foules the mainsheet.
Maybe you need a telescoping tlller extension.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Got 5 or 6 years out of the urethane u-joint. It gave plenty of warning before it went. I thought it was one of the ones with spectra inside, but it wasn't. Got two, replaced the one on the extension, keep one aboard as a spare. Replacement is a piece of cake, but you do have to drill through the part that goes into the end of the stick, so the spare is already drilled. There is heat shrink tubing involved as well, but one could use tape in a pinch ...

http://www.ronstan.us/marine5/product.asp?prodno=RF3133
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Telescoping extensions are nice if you need to quickly clear a fouled sheet.

But they can be annoying if they "collapse" or "expand" unintentionally because of an accidental twist of the wrist.

If you move the extension to the other side while the tiller is hard over during the tack, you can leave the extension a bit longer and it will still fit. But if you miss that moment, then with a telescope you can recover.

My tiller extension uses the 2-axle universal joint design and has a push button to remove it entirely.

As we are discussing tiller extensions: I recently rigged an extension holder from a two strips of dual-sided (one-wrap) Velcro and a Mag-lite holder (the C-cell size). Each Velcro strip is riveted to one of the screw holes on the holder and wrapped around the tiller. Cost: about $6.00 for a pair of holders and some for the Velcro and rivets. I have a holder left over to do the same on another boat.

The holder is a just about as wide as the foam grip, but gravity is usually enough to hold it in. Using the Velcro strips mean I didn't have to drill the tiller. I'm always hesitant to put holes into things until I know that a modification is a "keeper". But it also makes the position a bit adjustable so I can set it to my preferred length for the extension.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Wed May 28, 2014 4:45 pm

I had a homemade tiller extension for many years but I also became frustrated by the lack of mobility and finally bit the bullet and bought a Ronston Battlestick. I've had mine about 4 or 5 years and the urethane u-joint shows no sign of impending doom. I definitely like the mobility of u-joint which allows the stick to go aft of the mainsheet during tacks. FYI, Intensity Sails has replacement joints on their website for 7 bucks.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Thu May 29, 2014 11:58 am

I have a Forespar telescoping tiller extension. It has movement up & down as well as sideways. I got it when I bought my Rhodes 19. The guy I got the R19 from threw in the tiller extension for extra $5, how could I pass that up. I got extra inserts to put in the tiller, so I use the same tiller extension on not only the DSII, but also on the R19 and Mariner. The tiller extension pin can be released from it's insert in the tiller and inserted in the tiller for one of the other boats.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Interim » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:15 pm

I have a Ronstand Battlestick that has yet to be installed. I went from fear of failure to confidence all in this one thread.

The end of my tiller is rounded, and thus presents an arc for mounting. Do people typically cut or grind off a flat spot before mounting so the place has greater contact surface?

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:02 pm

John,

I didn't grind or sand my tiller flat; I just drilled the holes for the mounting plate for the battlestick and screwed the plate to the tiller. It isn't going anywhere.

- Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby gunnerasch » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Both of my Flying Juniors have the Battlestick and are at least 10 yrs old and left out in the sun. Still no issues with them

I found (3) of the Forespar telescoping tiller extensions at Minnies,used, with no attachment inserts ($6, $8 and $12) and have mounted them on the E20, the DS2 and the V224. Because I have a reasonably complete machine shop at home, it took me a whole 15 minutes to wack out 3 of the inserts on the lathe, knurl them well, and then another 15 to drill my wooden tillers, coat the inserts with 5200 and then clamp them in place with C clamps for 7 days. So far..not a one has come out.

One of those Velcro Cord Keeper kits from the 99c store provided enough long Velcro strips to wrap around the tiller to keep the extensions in storage position on all 3 boats in place nicely, ( I tossed a set in each boat just in case I need a replacment or something to secure line with)

Gunner
Ds-2 25709- 4845 starting restoration
https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Oday
Ensenada 20 (restoration complete)
Venture 224 (restoration nearly complete)
(2) Flying Juniors

Anyone want a free Ensenada 20 with no mast? I have a spare...
gunnerasch

Return to Repair and Improvement