DS I centerboard

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS I centerboard

Postby Guest » Tue May 01, 2001 8:19 pm

I have a 1968 DS I and pulled the centerboard to do some minor work on it. I noticed that there is water sloshing around inside it and there are no obvious leaks. So either the water is supposed to be there for ballast (doubtful) or I have tiny leaks that have let water in over time. What should I do? I'm tempted to drill a hole to drain the water and then fiberglass it. Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Gib Metcalf (gmetcalf-at-peoplepc.com)

Postby Guest » Wed May 02, 2001 10:38 am

Hey there,

I have a 1958 DS1 and I had the same promblem with my board. I attempted to drill holes and glass over the water. The problem I had was getting att the moisture out of the board. I couldn't get all the water out, and if you glass over a spot with moisture, you'll just trap the water in there and the glass won't adhere properly. I bit the bullet and bought a new board from Cape Cod. It was about 250 bucks and it is sweet. That's my two cents, but others may disagree. Good luck. Eric

Eric J. Nelson (nelsone-at-husson.edu)

Postby Guest » Wed May 02, 2001 10:44 am

I do a lot of windsurfing and when a sailboard gets water in it there are places that will drill a hole in both ends, and then mount the board to an electric motor (old washing machine) and spin it for hours and hours until all the water has been removed by centrifigal force. Not sure if this is practical, but maybe you could come up w/ something?

Kevin Clark (kevin.clark-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement