Hull/Deck joint separation - run away?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull/Deck joint separation - run away?

Postby diffusion » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Greetings all. So today I went to look at an '84 daysailer, having decided that a DS is to be my next boat. This particular example was in pretty much the sort of condition you'd expect from an all-original mid-80s boat, but one problem jumped out at me: the hull-deck joint was opening up just forward of the transom corners on both sides. Port side crack was approx 8" long, starboard was 12"+.

Is this a common problem with the DS? How bad might the fix be? Should I keep looking?

Thanks!
DSII #10721
diffusion

Re: Hull/Deck joint separation - run away?

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Verdict: fixable, unless there are complications you haven't disclosed.
One user here sailed the Texas 200 in a boat that had several spots like that.

If you don't fix it, you can still sail, but the boat will take on water if capsized.
You can fill the void with pool noodles (a very common thing people do for DS)
and you can glue / seal the gaps. Or, preferably both.

We just had a thread here where somebody contemplated that (or a similar) repair.
Not super difficult.

Here's the discussion: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4691
(Unlike the original poster in that thread, I would consider clamping the repair lightly...)

Anyway, good luck and looking forward to seeing you here again.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby diffusion » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks greenlake. It didn't seem to me like fixing it would be that big of a deal; I kinda figured I could just clean out the crack, fill with thickened epoxy, clamp, then tape the edge up with epoxy & cloth. Making it look good would be the real problem.

Anyway, it's been 8 years since I last owned a sailboat, so right now I'm thinking I'd rather spend a nice day sailing than doing fiberglass repair, so I'm going to keep looking. Glad I discovered this board. I'll be back!
DSII #10721
diffusion

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:13 pm

What I was trying to hint at is that you can buy this one, sail it, and then do the repairs at the end of the season :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement