Centerboard cable attachment on early DSII

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard cable attachment on early DSII

Postby djd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to revive a new to me DSII. Current project is replacing the Centerboard Uphaul and Downhaul wire cables. This is an early 1970/71 style boat and the downhaul wire cable exits the top of the centerboard trunk near the mainsheet block. The control line does not pass into the cuddy. There is a cleat on the starboard side of the trunk for securing the line once the board is pulled up.
There are two steel cables attached to the board - one for uphaul and one for downhaul. From the cockpit, the two cables run down to a bored hole in the top front corner of the centerboard. The cables pass thru 1/8" holes drilled in the edge of the board and terminate inside the bored hole. (Bored hole is about 1" diameter and does not go all the way thru the board.) There are lugs crimped on the end of the cables to keep them from pulling out. The bored hole was filled with a silicon like sealer.
My question is this: There is a groove in the edge of the board where the uphaul cable exits the hole and runs up to the cockpit. I don't know if this groove is supposed to be there or if it is just from wear. I'd like to fill it in if it is from wear, but maybe it should be there?
Does anyone have a picture of this type of centerboard that shows how the cables should look??
Thank you all.
Dennis
djd

Re: Centerboard cable attachment on early DSII

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi Dennis,

Since no one else has chimed in here, and there's a similar discussion going on in another thread, I'll pipe up. TRW has the newer CB control arrangement, with the UH exiting the front of the trunk into the cuddy. However, the CB DH line (not wire) is attached to the board in the manner you describe. The UH cable is attached to the board w/ a tang, and when I had to replace it last Fall, I did it w/o removing the board, and I couldn't really see the top edge of the board, so don't know if there's a groove, whether it's supposed to be there or not? Wish I could be of more help. The only pic/diagram I have is this one:

I'm having a hard time visualizing how any UH could work being attached to the foreward edge of the board?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby djd » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:19 am

Hi Tim,
Thank you for the response. I've seen this diagram, but it is different from the rig on my boat. I went ahead and filled in the groove and installed the board. I think the groove was just worn in by the cable sliding over the fiberglass. I had the boat on the water and the mechanism actually works pretty good.
At first try, the uphaul would not work. I found the downhaul cable (1/8" diameter stainless) was stuck. Over the years, the cable had also worn a groove in the fiberglass just where the cable exits the trunk. The cable has to make a bend to get to the exit fitting and it rubs against the fiberglass. The groove acted as a jam cleat of sorts. I filed the slot open so the cable was free to slide and that solved the problem. A better long term solution would be to put some sort of metal rub plate at the exit so the cable doesn't slide on the fiberglass, but the area is hard to get at. Way up at the top of the centerboard trunk.
Thanks again....
Dennis
djd

Postby djd » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:25 am

Tim -
Forgot to mention about the cable location....
My initial description was misleading. The cable attachment point is only at the forward edge of the board when the board is up. When the board is down, the attachment point is aft and above the pivot point. My cables are attached to the same corner of the board as the uphaul cable shown in your diagram.
Dennis
djd

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:48 pm

No prob, yeah, I'm just not that familiar with the early cable routing. Plus, sometimes folks get uphaul and downhaul confused, and say one when they mean the other ...

Glad to hear you've solved your issue though!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Repair and Improvement