Mast bushing ?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast bushing ?

Postby BeauDiddley » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Hello everyone!
I have recently trailered home a day sailer of my own, it is a mid to late 60's model.
While giving it a once over today I noticed that the mast seemed a little empty at the base where it slides over the mast jack, is there supposed to be some sort of bushing there ?
BeauDiddley

Re: Mast bushing ?

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:05 am

My mast ('63) has a kind of end plate witha 1" circular hole in it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BeauDiddley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:42 am

Brass or aluminum ? I might try to machine a couple hockey pucks to fit into the mast and over the jack stud. Feel free to move this to repair/improvement haha. It looks like the PO tried to use a pool noodle as a bushing in the past.. Or perhaps the plate fell off on the drive home.
Thanks !
BeauDiddley

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 am

As it's an aluminum mast, you want to use aluminum.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:21 pm

I think what you are describing is the "Mast Step Casting," $16.50 from D&R Marine. If the mast steps directly too the keelson, the casting is bolted to the keelson. If you have a hinged mast, there are three castings used. The first one is on the cuddy floor to hold the tablernacle post. Another is riveted with aluminum rivets to the base of the mast, and the third is riveted to the top of the tabernacle post. A 2-part stainless steel "Tabernacle Hinge" goes between the two castings -- one hinge plate on the mast, the other on the tabernacle post. The whole assembly is about $85.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:03 pm

He's stepping his mast on a mast jack, so, keel-stepped.

And he needs a circular hole in the casting to clear the pin of the mast jack.

One thing to do might be to call Rudy at D&R marine before setting of building his own part.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BeauDiddley » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:30 pm

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS207

This is a step used with a tabernacle setup right ?
BeauDiddley

Postby BeauDiddley » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:45 pm

It might not be a bad idea to drill a hole in that cast piece and add a tube sleeve to it with an inside diameter that would accept the mast jack. Right now I'm thinking of machining 4 hockey pucks epoxied together to make a rubber block that slides into the mast.

That website seems like a good resource though, I'll try sending an e-mail and see what kind of response I get.
I called the sail maker here in Barrie,Ontario, Canada. They said good luck, and directed me to a stainless steel guy that does a little custom work...which sounds hard on the pocket.
BeauDiddley

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:48 am

Just drilling a hole should be all you need (at least judging from the one on my boat). There's no need for a sleeve.

The mast casting rests on the nut that is part of the mast jack. That transfers the compression loads (the most substantial portion of the total load). The hole keeps the mast foot centered on the pin. These loads are much less and the casting is strong enough to hold up to them. There is no need to align the pin with the mast because the pressure on the nut already does that. The same pressure would also create friction across its surface, which would additionally serve to keep the mast foot in place fore and aft or sideways, thus partially relieving the force on the hole and pin keeping the mast foot centered.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:49 am

BeauDiddley wrote:http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS207

This is a step used with a tabernacle setup right ?

Correct. And, except for the missing hole it looks just like the mast casting on mine.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BeauDiddley » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Well it will probably be near 50 dollars after I pay taxes and duties to get it shipped up to me here in Canada but it will be the best course of repair short of casting or machining a block of solid aluminum. I'll order it tonight and keep you posted on the repair.

I thought about rubber ( hockey pucks) or wood The pucks can sometimes be difficult to get into the perfect shape. I'm worried wood would swell and potentially tear the aluminum mast.

Could someone post a picture of the step of theirs ? I'll need to know where to put the hole in the new step.
BeauDiddley

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 pm

That's about the one view of my boat that I have not photographed :(

If nobody can rustle up a photo, the best I can say (from visual memory) is that the hole is not centered fore/aft but seems to have a rim that is more or less equal width on three sides: front and left/right side, with the aft part of the profile sticking out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BeauDiddley » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:02 am

Well, I went with the hockey puck idea for cost and availability. I traced the shape of the mast with a magic marker and went to work with my air rotary tool, once it was cut down and roughed to shape I sanded it with a homemade sander given to me by my girlfriends opa.

Worked amazing and had a great first day of sailing on the boat.
Thanks for the assistance !

I'll try and put up some pictures in my gallery, I'm working off of a cell phone and my pictures are too high quality to post haha

Cheers
BeauDiddley

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Glad it works for you. Now for pictures..
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement