Spring Cleaning

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spring Cleaning

Postby Guest » Fri May 25, 2001 8:17 am

Could anyone recommend a boat cleaning product that does well to remove stains from leaves and other stuff dropped from trees over the winter? My DS is a "vintage" 73 and it seems as though the topsides glass - especially the foredeck - has almost become slightly porous with age. Elbow grease seems only to acccomplish just so much...

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Bill (wmahoney-at-smsllc.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 25, 2001 8:20 am

FSR worked for me, be sure to use rubber gloves

gwright (gwright-at-wjwltd.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 25, 2001 9:29 am

I used "SOFT SCRUB w/Bleach" on my DS II to remove the leaf stains when I bought her. For the topsides, I compounded the boat the first year with a buffer, and then put 3-4 coats of good marine wax on to seal the gelcoat. Now each spring I just go over the topsides and the smooth (not non-skid) areas of the deck with a liquid rubbing compound (hand-buffed) and then 3-4 coats of wax on the topsides and 2-3 coats on the smooth areas of the deck. This is why my 22 year old DS II still looks brand new, despite the fact that I think I was the first owner to wax the boat (boat was 17 years old when I bought her).

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 25, 2001 2:56 pm

What is FSR???

Bob Wilson (Rwilson-at-fsc.edu)

Postby Guest » Fri May 25, 2001 5:39 pm

I agree with Rod, soft scrub works great. I also found that Simple Green, only slighty diluted and using a scrub brush works great.

jack (jacmar007-at-prodigy.net)

Postby Guest » Mon May 28, 2001 11:14 pm

FSR is a cleaner made by DAVIS, sold in most marine stores, it is in a gel form and is essentially a bleach. Oh, FSR = Fiberglass Stain Remover. There is another product that does the same thing, and which costs less, "Y-10". But I'd try the Soft Scrub first.

Postby Guest » Tue May 29, 2001 5:50 pm

Try "Bon-amie" rather than soft scrub. Essentially the same material without all the water and advertising (speaking of saving $) It has worked to restore my slightly abused 1967 DS.

barry (kellbtl-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 05, 2001 5:02 pm

Oh, one more suggestion Bill........cover the boat next winter to avoid the extra Spring cleaning chores. :)

ps: Mine had been covered for 4 years when I bought her....still needed the soft-scrub where water had collected and not drained.

Return to Repair and Improvement