CB trunk Hull damage repair

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB trunk Hull damage repair

Postby Swashbuckley » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:18 am

:shock: Beginning the refurbish of 'Tiny Dancer' DSII for the upcoming TX200. Careened her in the driveway, many thanks to helpful hints in the forums. This is what I found. Note to self, remember that free boats are not free. Any ideas as to what would cause this damage? Gotta fix the problem as well as the symptom.18791880
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Learn Something New Every Day
Swashbuckley

Re: CB trunk Hull damage repair

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Hard to say, could be a grounding which wrenched the CB (what is its shape btw?)

About the only thing you can do is grind off the old laminate and re-build...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Swashbuckley » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Greenlake the cb has been shaped to about 70% so I think I will try it for a while. I had not thought about grounding. I was more concerned with working stress. I will start grinding as soon as I finish getting the major layer of crud off.
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Swashbuckley

Postby GreenLake » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:23 am

What do you mean "shaped to 70%" ?

Getting a the best foil shape that you can manage is one thing, and not of no interest for the TX200. There are times when you want all the efficiency from a CB that you can get. John reported doing the entire Corpus Christi channel to Port Arransas on a single up-wind tack in 2013...

However, I was thinking first and foremost of cracks and structural damage. If the CB got stuck in the mud and the boat was driven hard into it, that would explain the damage to the CB trunk.... if that's how it happened, the CB would have been stressed as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Swashbuckley » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:39 am

Sorry Greenlake I was getting ahead of myself. The board does not show any grounding damage. I felt that it had been faired to about 70% of a desired foil shape. However Jeadstex looked at it and said it is in the original shape. The heavy coat of anti foul paint may be hiding other damage that will show up as it is removed. We inspected the pivot point and found that it had a new pivot bolt so it could have been replaced. For this years TX200 I will leave it as is. But I know I will build a better one later. It will be interesting to see how far the cracks extend. I will post more pics as my work continues.
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Swashbuckley

Postby jeadstx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:07 pm

I stopped by Swashbuckley on my way home from Dallas on Sunday. He has the stock centerboard. There are a few chips in the edge, but mine has those also. Other than the damage at each end of the centerboard trunk, the boat is solid. The P.O. plugged the bilge drain and the auto bailer for some reason and drilled a new hole in the transom that goes into the cockpit. Swashbuckley told me that some of the deformation has come out since it has been off the trailer. Looks like it will be a good boat when the work on it is done.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Repair and Improvement