Hull Damage from trailer

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Hull Damage from trailer

Postby jeadstx » Mon May 04, 2015 1:35 pm

Good to see you got her sailing. Don't worry about the boat being fast, it only means that on the Tx200 you can leave later than the smaller slower boats and arrive at the camps sooner than they can also.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 04, 2015 2:14 pm

klb67 wrote:I'm wondering if the pics are visible to anyone? I'm logged into the main site and the forum - they come up as "you are not authorized to view this image" I have seen this more often recently on other posts, yet some pics are fine?

If the forum page, just below the phpBB banner, and on the right hand side, shows "Logout [ klb67 ]" then you are indeed logged in, and should not receive this message. If this is a continuing issue, send me a PM. Pictures linked with the [img] tag (and hosted on external servers) are visible to anyone, including guests, which might account for the difference.

When logging on, I usually choose the option to be logged in "automatically". That reduces the chance that I'm viewing a page while logged out.

Finally, the "main" site uses a completely different registration mechanism, which is unrelated to the forum. The software for the main site also includes a "forum", but we deactivated that, because this one runs on a better platform and it would have been impossible to preserve the history. The main site is concerned with aspects of DSA membership, such as dues.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 04, 2015 2:53 pm

talbot wrote:Interesting set of modifications.
1. Is it still self-bailing?
2. What supports the floor boards above the hull?
3. How are you finishing/sealing all that plywood?
4. What are your particular concerns about the DS as an expedition boat? (Besides it being smaller than your previous boats?)

My questions, precisely.

BTW, once you have stowed all your gear, the DS will feel a bit more solid on the water.

talbot wrote:Re: GPS--I've found that a Garmin marine mount lets me use my unit hands-free. I put mine on top of the CB trunk near the bulkhead.

Where I sail there is no shortage of landmarks for navigation. Therefore, I'm using my GPS mostly for checking on speed and to save a track for later. So I got a very basic unit (Garmin 72H) but with UBS port. I constructed a simple GPS holder from a VHF radio holder, with a viewport cut out and SS straps riveted to the back to hold it to the coamings (the green lanyard serves as backup). The SS straps are bent to allow a better viewing angle. An amusing afternoon project and saved a bit over a dedicated contraption.

For the Tx200, I understand, the navigational challenges include being able to hit a gap in the shallows in otherwise featureless waters. That makes a GPS with chart display a bit more convenient.

talbot wrote:Re: Speed--Using the GPS and wind meter, I've noted that my boat travels at up to about 1/2 the velocity of the wind. So if you were in 15 mph (13 kt) winds, I would guess you were sailing at ~6.5 kt, about 1 kt above the boat's displacement hull speed. You may have been sailing faster on your longer boats, but, yeah, it feels different so close to the water.

I would expect these figures to depend on the point of sail, that is, I'll expect you'll find these figures probably best match what you can achieve on a reach. For something like the Tx200, you'll put in a conservative reef or two, sail mostly downwind, and with a boat fully loaded, you might find that your average stays below hull speed.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm

True, although the critical variable seems to be how much the boat heels. I'm not sure what the aerodynamic limit would be, but if you can hold the angle of heel down, the boat will plane into the wind at least up to close reach. Reduced sail or lower winds can actually increase boat speed if you can get the bottom back in the water. So macho boy who disses on a woosie who reefs early is likey to be left in said woosie's' wake.
talbot

Postby Swashbuckley » Mon May 04, 2015 6:19 pm

To answer your questions as best I can.
1. No it is no longer self bailing. If I could get the leaks to stop I would not care.
2. The floor and the hull are in contact from the cb trunk to the second longitudinal support just under the seat. This area was previously seriously concave on my boat. Now it is flat and with a slight elevation change from the back of the cb trunk to the self bailing area on the hull. This is why you see a seam in the floor boards. There will be chines and ribs covering these when I am done, 1/2" x2" ribs. On other DS's there may be more curvature in the hull, but mine was modified by the original trailer. If she had not been damaged none of this would have been required.
3. When I am finished with the cockpit I plan on sealing the ply with paint. I have not decided between polyurethane or porch paint. I decided not to glass the interior as I have a penchant for wanting to change things.
4. It is not 26' long.....and 8' wide. Small space long trip. I think I have become spoiled. She was a blast to sail yesterday, other than everything being new, in process, or not figured out yet. I think my concerns will dissipate with more time on the water.
5. I have the mount for my Garmin 78. It is just still bolted to the helm on my Pearson. another item on my list. I use it mostly for speed. Since I am not racing, speed is relative, she felt faster than I was expecting. I know you don't hear that too often. I really should have taken her out on a lighter day first, but she is intended for the coast. And based on all shared knowledge that she would perform better flat, I endeavored to sail her that way. I can tell why this has been such a popular racing class.
6. I think I will be happier when I get about 250 lbs. of ballast in her, and in better trim. We were very stern heavy yesterday.

I like you gps mount Greenlake.
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Learn Something New Every Day
Swashbuckley

Postby talbot » Mon May 04, 2015 7:02 pm

I think the expedition issue for any small craft is realizing when the waves are too big. But just in terms of space, you will probably be camping on shore and don't need berths, potty, or galley. (And of course, you don't need a dinghy.) The actual storage space and cockpit area are as large or larger than most small keelboats I've sailed on. Two people camping light on a 3-4 day trip may find they need to stabilize the baggage because of extra space in the cuddy. And if you go for ostentatious luxury on an overnight, you will have enough room that you will wonder--while lugging lawn chairs up from the beach-- why the hell you didn't leave most of the stuff at home.
talbot

Postby Swashbuckley » Mon May 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Too true. on all points. My crew and I were just discussing where along the scale between backpacking and full RV that we wanted to set our marker. I think I am most of the issue. It has been a long time since I have been in a less than 20 ft boat in more than 3 ft waves. Just how much adventure do I still have in me. My wife is laughing out load at this point.
"Tiny Dancer" #6816
Learn Something New Every Day
Swashbuckley

Postby talbot » Tue May 05, 2015 1:50 am

Wherever you set your sights, having that compatible crew will clarify your vision. Mine has helped me see the virtues of large tents, chilled wine, double-burner Coleman stoves, and--yes--those damn lawn chairs. If I want to go play pirate, I can always anchor out and sleep aboard by myself. In fact, we once shared the cabin for a night in an emergency anchorage, and are still married, although she was not laughing at the time.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 pm

The DS cuddy has room for enough camping gear (and provisions) for two, so that you don't have to limit yourself to the minimalist, backpacking lifestyle. A bit depends on how much effort you want to spend packing and unpacking (and setting up and tearing down). Also, if you expect stronger winds, make sure that your palace can be set up in a blow. A small, two-person tent each may be easier to manage and still be comfortable. About the champagne dinners: I'm always amazed how little appetite I muster after a long day on the water. But everybody is different, and there was the case on one of the Tx200's of the catamaran that brought a full grill (grate), charcoal, and the chilled meats necessary to do shrimp in bacon...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Tue May 05, 2015 1:50 pm

I've sailed my DS II on the Tx200 three times successfully (and once not so much). First time (the unsuccessful one) I was way over packed and the boat actually sat 2" deeper in the water than it should. After that packing was lighter leaving enough room in the cuddy cabin to be able to access most things easily. The cuddy cabin seems big and spacious until everything gets in there. I would put water in first, this year you will need at minimum 12 gallons of water (1 gal. per day per person). 2 people for six days = 12 gallons. Bring a couple gallons extra. Put dry bags and camping equipment higher in cuddy to make sure it is dry. As Greenlake suggested, use small low profile two man (or 1 man) tents. My crew last year brought a big tent and the wind destroyed it the first night. Places most people sail there are places along the way for re-supply, not always the case on the Texas coast, almost nowhere to re-supply on the first three days. Absolutely nowhere for the 43 miles on the first days sail (there is nothing sailing along the King Ranch in south Texas). Balance your load in the boat.

Fortunately on the Tx200 you are on starboard tack most of the way with a few tacks and gibes thrown in so you can adjust your cargo accordingly. Winds will be light in the morning and strengthen with the heat of the day. Typical winds are 15 to 20 knots by mid afternoon. Waves are higher in the bays but really manageable in the "ditch" (land cut). Of course you do get to play with barges occasionally. This year you should be able to buddy up with a couple other Day Sailers as well. The Day Sailer handles the Texas coast well.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby talbot » Tue May 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Jealous, as always. Hope everyone has a safe adventure (is that an oxymoron?) with a minimum of post-voyage maintenance and a maximum of good stories.
talbot

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement