Attaching Brackets, etc

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Attaching Brackets, etc

Postby Interim » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:46 pm

I would like to attach some baskets, or net bags, to the inside of the cuddy bulkhead (if that is the right term). This is so I can keep handy a couple items like an air horn, shock cord for flaking the sail, maybe a dockline, without having to dig through PFDs, boat hooks, bailers, etc.

Is there anything more to this than drilling holes in the fiberglass and using stainless or aluminum hardware?

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Re: Attaching Brackets, etc

Postby jeadstx » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:45 pm

I added eye straps to the inside of my cuddy cabin. When I put the eye strap in I added a 1-1/4" to 1/1/2" ring to each one to also be able to attach lanyards from dry bags to as well. I attached my eye straps to the vertical side of the cuddy cabin to cut down on leaks from the bolt. Besides the sealer I used, I drilled a hole slightly smaller than my bolt so I could thread the bolt into the hole in an attempt to reduce water leakage. Has worked so far. I also placed an opposing loop on the outside if I needed to attach things like fenders. With the eye straps in place you can attach nets, bags, or lanyards.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Interim » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 pm

John--

great. what do you use for sealer?

And, is there any problem with cracks forming around the bolt hole? I'm not going to hang 20 pounds on it, but I wonder if over time cracks appear around the hole.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby jeadstx » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what kind of sealer I used, it's been a while. Preety sure I used a marine type sealer. I haven't had any leaks. Helps to not have it on a horizontal surface where water can pool. I haven't had any cracks. I drill the holes and put a tap thru it before putting the bolt & nut on.

One of my loops keeps an anchor from sliding around.

When hanging a bag off the loop, are you wanting it completely suspended or are you going to have the bag resting partially on the cuddy cabin floor. If completely suspended, you may want a backing plate (brass, aluminum, or stainless) to help distribute the weight. If the loop just secures a bag resting partly on the cuddy cabin floor to keep it in a place where you know you can easily find it, you may not need a backing plate.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Sealant - use something non-silicone, like LifeCaulk from BoatLife.

One alternative is to glue a block of wood and then screw into it. Gives you some load distribution, and you don't have to worry about sealing a hole.

If you use an epoxy glue, you can use any extra for coating the wood on all exposed sides to keep water (and rot) sealed out.

Before mounting the wood, drill a pilot hole for the (wood) screw that will hold your strap. Wax the screw and set it aside. When you glue the block, fill the hole with extra glue, then insert the screw all the way. After everything is cured, the epoxy will have formed "threads" for the screw, but the wax will allow the screw to still come out. Unscrew, add the eyestrap, and fasten again.

If your needs go beyond what a well-seated wood screw can hold, then, first, get an eyestrap for a pair of screws, or, if that's not the solution, you can embed a bolt into the wood (permanently glued in without wax) so that you can fasten the strap to it with a lock nut.

If you use high-quality epoxy (not the 5-min variety in the double syringe from the H/W store) and take good care to get the ratio correct and mixed well, then a few square inches of glue joint (well-cleaned and roughened surface) will hold hundreds if not thousands of pounds -- definitely overkill, so there's no need to consider drilling the hull (or deck).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Interim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Greenlake--

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you suggesting to glue the woodblock to the inside of the horizontal surface of the cuddy? (not sure I can call this a bulkhead)

I hadn't thought about that. It won't delaminate the surface?

Again, I'm not putting a lot of weight on it. Just want to have a couple key items organized.

--jf
1979 DSII
Interim

Return to Repair and Improvement