Mast hinge installation

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast hinge installation

Postby Guest » Wed May 06, 1998 12:00 am

Hello, I'm utterly naive to the sailboat sene, I'm going to buy a Rhodes 19. The mast is not hinged, I'm wanting to hinge it and install a"tabernackle(?)" such that trailering the boat would be possible. Any advise or comment? I don't know what I'm doing to the extent that this is the first sailboat, 've had a few outboard boats, though. Thank you...

Don S. (SpicerDC-at-corning.com)

Postby Guest » Wed May 06, 1998 12:00 am

Don,

You're not likely to find your answer here. This group is intended to cover a specific make of boat, the 16' 9" Day Sailer class. The people who frequent this discussion group are not likely to know the details about your boat.

You might have more luck at a generic sailing site like www.sailnet.com, or through the Usenet newsgroups like alt.sailing.asa or rec.boats. You can access these groups through www.dejanews.com if you don't have a newsreader.

Good luck.

Guys...feel free to post an answer to this question if you have one. I'll leave the thread up a for a week or so.

Mike Boone (boonedocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 07, 1998 12:00 am

Mike, don't under-estimate the experinces of those of us who lurk here.

I (in a prior life) worked for a boat building company that, for a short period of time, built the Rhodes 19 after O'Day stopped producing it. So I am familiar with the boat.

Installing a mast tabernacle is the same on pretty much any boat. What you need to do is get two mast base castings and a mast hinge, bolt a casting to each of the hinge plates, cut the mast off at the height ncessary to allow you to insert the hinge, and pop rivet the castings in the mast 'halves. If you can, build up a pad for the bottom part of the hinge to lie flat on the deck so that the hinge just barely touches the deck (it MUST remain being supported by the lower mast 'half') and bolt the hinge 'half' to the deck. That way the lower part of the mast will be permanently installed and will not come out when you step/unstep the mast (making it easier to step/unstep the mast).

The mast parts needed can probably be obtained from Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co. They have a web site at:

www.csiworld.com/dwyer/dwyer.htm

It has great information on extrusion dimensions and fittings, with costs.

The Rhodes 19 Class has a web site at:

www1.shore.net/~msicomm/R19/R19.HTM

Keith A. Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 07, 1998 12:00 am

Good luck with your Rhodes 19. If you modify your boat as you say you might make it ineligible for Rhodes 19 Class Association races. I don't know about the the Centerboard Rhodes, but the keel model stepped on the keelson. What you are thinking about doing will make stepping the spar easier but may hurt resale in the future.

The Rhodes is a nice boat and we had loads of fun with ours

Barry

Barry Wright (wrightbr-at-prodigy.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 23, 1998 12:00 am

I have a DS II with a Kenyon mast and would like to install a mast hinge. I was told that Kenyon is out of business. Does anyone know if the parts I need are available somewhere?

Bill Ellis (bbgellis-at-top.monad.net)

Postby Guest » Sun May 16, 1999 12:00 am

Hey folks,
I am in need of some help. I have a very old daysailor with the keel-stepped mast. I had to cut out all the areas that were filled with REALLY wet open-cell foam, including the center "beam" where the step is for the mast. Stupidly, I cut it out before measuring how far forward from the centerboard trunk it was. Can anybody help me out?

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Tue May 18, 1999 12:00 am

Contact Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co.

They make a number of mast hinges.

John Hoffman (hoffman-at-meganet.net)

Return to Repair and Improvement