Bailer location

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bailer location

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2001 5:45 pm

I installed a self-bailer on my DS1 just aft of the Center Board housing. When I open the bailer underway, it does not bail the boat. In fact, there is water pressure against the opening and water comes in the boat.

What is the correct location to install a self-bailer so that it will drain rather than fill the boat?

Casey Skousen (casey-at-sunrisenm.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 1:22 pm

I have a boat Day Sailer with a bailer installed just infront of the center board trunk. It has let much more water into the boat than it has removed. I am considering in removing it from the boat.

Bob Walker (rewalker-at-calpoly.edu)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 1:36 pm

Bob,

Don't pull your bailer out too soon. If the gasket is leaking, you can make a new one for about $1.00. I bought a sheet of 3/16" closed cell foam at the hardware store which worked great. If you are having problems w/ water coming in while you are sailing w/ it open, you're simply not sailing fast enough to utilize it...close it up. My floor bailer will only draw out water if I'm moving 4-6 mph (or faster) through the water. This if fine because in light winds you shouldn't be getting water in the boat anyway. On big wind days, though, it's invaluable to be able to draw out a couple hundred gallons when you get tossed up on your ear and take on a bunch of water. I often get water over the rails when pushing it and a gust hits. With the bailer I just keep on sailing and the water is gone in just a few minutes. I love mine and would never talk of taking it out.

Kevin Clark
DS 11791 (a Spindrift DS1)

kevin clark (kevin.clark-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 2:37 pm

Kevin, I have opened my bailer when running as fast as my little Seagull motor will go - faster than 4-5 mph I think and the bailer still will not draw water out of the boat. The 'door' exiting the bailer is pressed shut by water pressure. When I push on it to make sure it will open, water just comes in the boat....

Any suggestions?

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:02 pm

Casey,

I'm not sure what brand bailer you have. Mine is by Anderson and I think Spindrift used these in all their boats. If yours will not stay open, that's a definite problem. See what mechanism is used to hold it open. Mine has a U-shaped lever that flips over when you open the bailer and holds the bailer down at about a 30 degree angle. The other problem could be the little swinging plate at the back of the bailer. The purpose of this is to keep water from rushing in when the boat drops below speeds where the water can be drawn out. This must swing freely for the bailer to work. If it is rusted or stuck in the closed position, you will not draw out much water at all.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:09 pm

Casey,

I just re-read your original post and noticed you placed your bailer aft of the centerboard trunk. I don't think this is the ideal location as the lowest point in the boat tends to be forward of the CB trunk when under sail, but I still think it should work located there. If it is directly in line w/ the centerboard, I wonder if the water flow isn't good there...turbulance from the centerboard maybe?

Kevin Clark
DS 11791 (a Spindrift DS1)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:51 pm

That's what I am wondering. I placed it here because there was a drain with a plug in that spot and is is a convenient location that can be reached from either side of the cockpit. It also would permit draining regardless of heel of the boat.

Where is your drain located?

I am anxious to learn what works BEFORE I cut more holes in the hull!

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:56 pm

Casey,

My bailer is located about 4-6" forward of the CB trunk on the port side of the boat (probably 4" of the centerline. Early Spindrifts had one on both sides, but I think one is sufficient.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 10, 2001 1:27 pm

Kevin I would love to see the bailer. Will you be out at lake Arlington anytime soon. I also have an 81 Spindrift. If you come out for a Sunday race, I could get a look, and spy how you have modified the rigging.

Russell

Russell Smutzer (smutzerr-at-flash.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:05 pm

My DS III has the bailer in the center of the sole at the transom. Water DOES come in so I always plug it closed before launching and only open it to drain once its on the trailer. A rolled up towel there soaks up any incidental water. Its the type of drain found in a Sunfish or Laser with an attached push in plug and a ball / gasket, it doesn't really seem to work very well and I've had to seal up the collar with epoxy and marine sealant 'cuz seepage was occuring there as well.

peter tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement