chip, crack and ding repair

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

chip, crack and ding repair

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 06, 2001 7:28 pm

I have been patching the dings and chips in my ancient Daysailer II. My question is that I have been using some gelcoat repair stuff that West Marine told me to use and some putty on the bigger chips and the vertical areas (as the gelcoat repair would just run out). It was really beat up where the main sheet is. All that spring loaded hardware had flopped about and chipped it all up. After I fill and it has dried I sand it down even. At this stage should I paint or put down several coats of wax, or should I be using something else or another technique. I am not concerned that the patch is bright white and the deck is off white, I just want to keep water out of where it should not be. Now I just have to wait for the lakes here to fill with water.

Mike Smith (miksmith53-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 11, 2001 2:52 pm

Treat it like the rest of your boat. Wax it if you wax the rest of your boat ... No additional preparation is really necessary beyond sanding with progressively finer (180 - 400 - 600/1000) wet/dry sandpaper (used wet) to make the patches level/conform with the surrounding area and then polish with a boat or automotive polish. It is a structurally sound as it will ever be.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement