Interior hull paint

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Interior hull paint

Postby kokko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:16 am

The DS1 has a lot of raw fiber glass in the cuddy. Two years ago I did an experiment - I painted it all with a deck restore paint. After two full seasons it looks good and has held up well. It can be scrubbed, but the only thing I have not been able to scrub off are some standing water stains and some black rubber scrapes. I plan to touch up those areas before putting Truelove to bed for the winter.
There are marine non-skid paints like KiwiGrip, but these new deck restore paints appear to be very similar - very viscous and highly filled for a high build and thick coating.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Re: Interior hull paint

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Interesting pointer on the deck restore paint. I haven't seen anything advertised as that. What precisely did you use?

I've used transparent gel coat (repair kit) to cover places where my DS1 floorboards had rubbed through to the laminate. That has worked very well. Simply mixed a batch and applied it with a spreader. It's not in view, so optics weren't paramount. Gel coat normally doesn't cure if exposed to oxygen (requires an airtight cover, like a plastic sheet) but some repair kits are formulated to allow cuing in air. That was the case here, which made it simple.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Interior hull paint

Postby kokko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:40 pm

I used PPG Revitalize. There are comparable products, but I am pleased with how this looks and how it has held up.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Repair and Improvement