tiller extension

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

tiller extension

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 02, 2001 10:14 pm

Anyone,
I have a couple of questions...
I am the proud owner of a '71 Daysailer 1 located in Pittsburgh, PA of all places (I am a displaced Cheasepeake native!). I see that there is a fleet in my area but I have not made contact yet - any one from this area please e-mail me for future conversations/info etc.
Secondly, anyone have any advice on tiller extensions - i.e. length, brand, application. I am a bit hesitant to drill holes in my beautiful tiller. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Rob

Rob Bryan (jrobertbryan-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:56 pm

Robert, I recently did a complete overhaul on my 1967 DS1 and I added a tiller extension. It's a Forespar that goes from about 19"long to 32"long, twisting it to lock or unlock. It is easily removed with a push of the plunger on the end of the pin which goes into a sleeve(porvided) which is inserted via a drilled hole into your beautifully varnished tiller. Not to worry. Mount it from the bottom side of the tiller being careful not to drill through to the top of the tiller. This method allows you to hold onto the wood tiller during casual sailing, and swinging out end extending the extension for hiking out. The extension can be stored on the bottom side of the tiller using a small tiller clip.
Rex Sheler
Michigan

Rex (rexstephanie-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 4:17 pm

I bought the same tiller extension as you described.
My delema is, should I cut off any of the tiller ? My tiller is 53 inches long and could be 8 to 10 inches shorter which would make it easier to move across when
tacking. Don't see that mounting it on the bottom side
would make much difference. Seems like you would be grabbing the whole tiller any way. I guess if you drill the hole all the way threw you could mount it any way you want. Does the extension clear the traveler lines ?
I also are from the Chesapeake, Kent Island, now in FL.
Bruce

Bruce Richardson (brich-at-home.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 10:27 pm

The tiller extension shouldn't get in the way at all when stowed. You mount it just aft of the handle, so when it is stowed you steer as usual--using the handle. I would recommend mounting it on top. It's less likely to fall out of the clip when stowed that way and if mounted on bottom it may hit on your rear deck (assuming you have a DS1).

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

kevin clark (kevin.clark-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 14, 2001 4:23 pm

Don"t forget the tiller extention will be easier to move over the tiller when tacking, rather than under, when extended. Top mount will minimize the possibility of it getting jammed on CB trunk, etc.. RE: cutting the tiller, I need the full length for comfortable daysailing without the extention, and lift the tiller when tacking if the boat is crowded and space is tight.

barry (bfk-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Return to Repair and Improvement