Hull painting equipment

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull painting equipment

Postby tinafred » Fri May 13, 2016 8:36 am

New owner of a 1986 DS3 with a desire to change the look of my boat from the original "latte" as some have described the original gel coat color to a blue or a high gloss candy apple red. I build custom furniture for my day job using only spray equipment for finish work. Looking through the old topics, I have not seen many references to using sprayers, mostly foam or mohair rollers/paint brushes? Is there a reason for this? Thank you for any enlightenment, Fred "not the senator"Thompson.
tinafred

Re: Hull painting equipment

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Fred, there is a "gold standard" for boat paint, and it's called Awlgrip. It effectively needs to be professionally applied, sprayed that is, but the results are, by all accounts, spectacular. The problem is that chemically the stuff is nasty enough that you need really good protection (and use it correctly). Hence the "no amateurs" approach.

If you are a "professional" and have the setup, then perhaps it's something that would work for you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Hull painting equipment

Postby tinafred » Sun May 15, 2016 10:10 am

Thank you for the reference to the Awlgrip. They have a broad choice of colors including metal flake (my term) and will fit my need. Thanks again, my finishing equipment can easy handle the requirements for the product. Thanks again.
tinafred

Return to Repair and Improvement