Restoring this Day Sailer ?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Restoring this Day Sailer ?

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 22, 2001 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I have a Day Sailer that has been sitting on a trailer for a dozen years and it has suffered. There is a 6 inch rip through the bottom of the hull where water in the boat caused the boat to tear at the trailer roller. There are also a series of hairline cracks running parallel to each other from this rip. From the inside, there is a rip in the corner of the seat and floor above the hull damage just described. Add to it many spider cracks in the boat. The boat is old. It was built in the early 70's. It is salvagable? I will have to tow it several hundred miles home to work on it. I am worried that the tow may be tough on the hull. I also don't want to put money into the boat, unless I know I will eventually be able to save it. I have digital pictures of the damage is anyone minds giving me a quick opinion.

Thanks .... Auke

Auke Piersma (aukeauke-at-netscape.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 23, 2001 4:14 pm

Nearly all fiberglass boats are repairable.The issues are time and money.

Members of our fleet have been buying Daysailer II with trailers for around $1,200.

I personally think if the boat you are looking at is a complete Daysailer I its worth considering fixing. I fixed mine which had a number of rips and other damage. i have also helped others in our fleet to fix theirs. A 6 inch long rip with easy access from the top will take about 5 hours over three warm days ( I use the West System which the resin snaps slowly ). From your discription, the botton will have to be weighted to regain its shape and then set so it won't flex back up.

You may also want to take it to a fiberglass repair shop and get an estimate. Please call or e-mail if you have futher questions 608.786.1128

Clark Van Galder

clark (clarkvg-at-aol.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement