Rudder Modifications

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rudder Modifications

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:11 pm

I've seen pictures of boats where the rudder heads of have been lightened by eliminating excess material in the rudder above the waterline. Are these standard blades that have been modified or are 'racing' blades purchased somewhere? Rather than just hack away and 'eyeball engineer" I'd like to know if anyone has any advice, measurements, standards, or suggested minimums.

barry (bfk-at-sandiego.gov)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:36 pm

DSI 2869
Hi Barry,

Most of those rudders you seen with cutouts in the head were once stock. The stock rudders are very heavy, and most racers try to lighten them. The conventional wisdom is to get weight off the stern of Daysailers. There is no standard for the cutout, everyone dose it a little different. When I modified mine, I left a minimum of 1.5" between the cutout and the edges. Many racers also make or buy new rudder blades to reduce the weight further and for a more aerodynamic shape. I did the cutout and new blade bit last summer, which reduce the weight by more than a half. I think I was more completive afterwards. My Daysailer also seem to tack better.

There are a couple places to get racing rudders. If your interested I can give you the information.

Ed Hutchinson
DSI 2869

Ed Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worldnet.att.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement