Installing a bilge pump

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Installing a bilge pump

Postby badgley » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:12 pm

cauclair wrote:I believe it is a basic DS. The access to the bilge is through two twist off caps in the cockpit; no open access through the cuddy.

The 'basic' DS has gone through multiple iterations: largely I, II, and III, but even those have had some variants. It would be good if you can verify what you have based on descriptions here in the forums or elsewhere on the web. The relevance of much advice to your own situation will depend on what you have. It sounds like it's a II or III since you have a cockpit floor that encloses the bilge that you are accessing through the two inspection ports.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby TJDSII6630 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:43 pm

An electric bilge pump seems a good idea, but how are you folks planing on powering them?
I looked at hand held pumps but none have a suction hose. The base has to be inserted into the bilge, you need several inches to get a a good suction and you have an open access port at low level.
I ended up making my own. http://youtube.com/watch?v=vaho7JSVS1I
A bit bulky, but I had most of the pipe and fittings in the possibles pile.
I'd knock 6 to 8 inches off the length.
Check valves did not work and I could not find a smaller ball and o-rings to fit http://youtube.com/watch?v=DG6own141z0.
So, I purchased PVC spring checks from the orange store and removed the springs.
In repairing my DaySailer I added two 6 inch ports in the seat tops at the transom. This gives access to the lower level of the bilge at the transom.
I know, a port is still open but it is well above the water line by time you are cleating the bilge. Or should be, have not been there - dun that ...yet.
I put slip on hose connections at suction and discharge and I can pull water from near the lower transom drain and either send it over the side or through the cockpit drain in the transom.
If a drain hole were to be installed through the cock pit floor into the bilge near the transom would most of the bilge water exit into the cockpit and out its drain, assuming weight were aft?

Good Sailing,

Teddy
TJDSII6630

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 am

You are leaving your access ports open? Or did I misread your post.

I mean, fine while you are pumping, but your reserve flotation depends on cockpit and hull enclosing a watertight air volume.

Normally, you'd finish those off with a deck plate which would be locked while sailing.

PS: the pump design in that video is interesting.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TJDSII6630 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Closed while sailing for sure!
However, the port would be open while pumping and the floor port would be more prone to water intrusion if one had
waves coming into the cockpit due to carying a significant quanity of water in the bilge.
Never had more than a few gallons of water in the bilge, but if one did have 25 - 30 gallons in there, and you moved the crew aft,
would most of it drain up into the cockpit if a plug were installed next to the self bailer outlet?
I also thought about this being a safe means to access the bilge.
Empty the cockpit, pull the plug, insert the pump suction hose, and pump away.
I always strive to recover without any outside support and clearing the bilge to an acceptable level while underway
seems an important part of that goal.
Second only to not capsizing or flooding the bilge in the first place!
TJDSII6630

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Indeed.

Don't know whether you can "tilt" the boat enough for your scenario with the weight aft.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TJDSII6630 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm

I intend to do a controlled flooding and will report back. It may be next summer.

I did the same thing with a john boat after I found out it floated at a 45 degree angle with only a foot of the bow above water and this was due to an air pocket.
Luckily, this was in the summer.
4 cycle motor was too much weight as well as years of repairs and 1973 era floatation standards. After modifications of adding bulges on transom with buoyancy equal to motor weight, doubling width of rear seat, and filling mid seat / live well with foam, I could fill it to the gunnels and still had 6 inches of free board. I also added a plug between each seat which gives 4 isolated sections to take a stump hole.

Test plan:
Add water to bilge in 10 gallon steps and check level through the seat and fore deck ports.
Determine if water is above rear deck level which would indicate it will flow up into the cockpit.

Continue to fill bilge until water level is above the forward cockpit floor and observe how deep she sits in the water and check stability by pulling on halyard.
Determine if boat is safe to sail in this condition.

Repeat in 4-6 inch increments until full to the gunnels or its obvious she’ll sink.

If full to the gunnels, determine if entrapped air is a major source of buoyancy as this could be lost if boat were not upright.

Empty boat and add more noodles and bottles if necessary.

Comments or please advise if this has been done before.
Teddy
TJDSII6630

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:56 pm

You sound like a determined man! Good project.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement