will new paint sacrifice performance?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

will new paint sacrifice performance?

Postby Peter McMinn » Sat Mar 30, 2002 3:41 pm

I just picked up #568. It's beautiful in the way of rigging, and a real winner. As the new owner, I'd like to address a few cosmetic issues on this 42-year old boat, but I'd be furious if I found I'd made a fast boat slow simply to make it look good.
If I'm not being rediculous, I need advise regarding the potential trade-off in light-air performance with new paint on the hull. Is there a way to compensate for the gained weight?

Also, can anyone guide me to the best resource for glass renovation including paint?

Thanks ahead,
Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:00 pm

Peter, I also own a vintage DSI #2869. In terms of performance, new paint above the waterline will not hurt. The weight is not significant. Below the waterline is another story. You want as smooth a bottom as possible to reduce drag. Most racers do not paint their boats bottom, instead rely on frequent cleaning. A few use special hard slick teflon paints like Interlux VC17. Don Casy has a series of excellent books on boat repair which discuss glass work and painting. The two I recommend are 'Sailboat Hull & Deck Repair' and 'Sailboat Refinishing'. They are availible in most marine stores.

Ed Hutchinson

Ed Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worldnet.att.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement