Centerboard crack and bailer issue

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard crack and bailer issue

Postby awrobatzek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Another issue popped up with the "new" boat. I turned it on its side to inspect the bottom of the hull and check out the centerboard today. The centerboard itself needs some love, but that can wait until after the season. When I looked into the compartment, I noticed what looks like a thin crack at the very top of the centerboard slot.
Centerboard slot.jpg
Centerboard slot.jpg (159.01 KiB) Viewed 3678 times

I could barely see the crack, so I am thinking that it is a project that I could put off until I fix up the centerboard after the season (am I correct in that regard?). As this is a hard spot to work on, would brushing some epoxy on it with a super long handle brush work?

Also while the boat was on its side, I noticed a poor maintenance job from the previous owner on the auto bailer for the bilge.
Bilge bailer.jpg
Bilge bailer.jpg (140.03 KiB) Viewed 3678 times

The stuff looks and feels like silicone bathroom caulking. I already purchased some 3M 5200 to fix the same caulking issue under the transom lip but it sounds like that would be a poor choice on this part, as it should be replaceable. Any suggestions on a product to reseal this after I remove all of that silicone garbage?

Tony
1976 Daysailer II #9010
awrobatzek

Re: Centerboard crack and bailer issue

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 am

A "thin crack" that you can hardly see at the top(!) of the CB trunk doesn't sound like an issue worth worrying about. Given the location it would be near impossible to get at and it is not unlikely that it is simply a crack in the gelcoat.

For the bailer you are looking for something other than 3M 5200.

There's a magazine called "Practical Sailor" that is like a Consumer's Report for lots of sailing-related gear and materials. They ran a test on sealants and recommended Sika 291 or Loctite Marine. Both suitable even if you leave your boat on a mooring for the season.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Centerboard crack and bailer issue

Postby awrobatzek » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks
awrobatzek

Return to Repair and Improvement