Another trailer fit question...

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Another trailer fit question...

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Do I see that correctly, you have two sets of bunks per side?

Definitely looks better - how much of an overhang do you have? And do the bunks sit underneath the place where the seats are attached to the hull (because the seats are stiff, along that line the hull shouldn't flex, but if you have too much weight resting on the part between centerline and seats, those parts of the hull can flex. Make sure those bunks aren't a "high" point.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:24 am

Yes looks much better after a relaunch and sits nicely on bunks and rollers as well as it rides in the trailer better behind the car.

Yes four bunks; two are shorter and these are the outer bunks from the rear of the trailer forward. Two longer bunks on the inside; just eyeballing the two longer bunks I would say that they are pretty close to be supporting the location where the seats come down to the floor. If it were not pouring rain out I'd go out and measure seat and bunks from side of hull and give you a better answer.

You asked "How much over overhang?"... is that from the end of the bunks back to the transom ? I'll let you know when it stops raining.

From my research on the trailer,. looking for replacement parts, etc. I would tell you that this is the original circa 1993 trailer that this 1993 DS has been trailered on since new. I'll start looking at wheels, axels, bearings after I get the boat ready.

I'll be dry sailing the boat this summer, get to park trailer and boat at DS Fleet #15 club parking lot all summer (7 miles from home), then less than 50 yds to launch ramp each sail, and I think this trailer will work one more summer....

GreenLake - Moving on to boat projects now like securing the butt end of the mast, replacing some deck & mast hardware, fixing a ding in the rudder, etc. and I'm sure I'll be posting some questions. Thanks for all of your thoughts.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Rob,

all good stuff. Trailering short distances keeps the dynamic loads limited to short duration, but you want to convince yourself that the boat is well supported the 350 days of the year it just sits on the trailer. I'm sure you are probably close to an acceptable setup now.

Will be ready to assist with any other queries, good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement