Rudder Chip Repair

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rudder Chip Repair

Postby RobH912 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Working my way through new boat creating a repair list, and knocking to do items off the list, before I get the boat on the water for the first time.

So my DS came with a "relatively new rudder", but I think it needs some repair...

There is a significant chip (~1.5") out of the back side of the rudder.

There are a lot of marine fillers, epoxy, putty, etc. and was wondering if someone had a suggestion on how best to fill in this chip.

I'm also thinking that this is a secondary level repair item.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG (71.44 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG (139.82 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Re: Rudder Chip Repair

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Two choices might work for you.

Marine Tex epoxy (it's a white paste) or 3M High Strength Marine Filler (a fiber reinforced Polyester resin, green).

In both cases you can improve results by trapping the repair in some plastic foil, perhaps one that's a bit stiff, like the plastic window on some packaging or overhead projector foils. The ides is to present a smooth surface against which the filler can cure.

Neither of these needs to be painted; the polyester paste, being reinforced, is a bit stronger, the epoxy will glue and seal better (but given the shape, anything will "wedge" itself in the cracks, so that's not an issue). You might like something that looks white, if you can live with the difference between pure white (repair) and off white (rudder), you can leave it unfinished. The green filler might not be as easy on the eyes :) (I used it on my center board, where I didn't have to see it).

Looks from the picture like there is some exposed "core" material, so perhaps the epoxy paste may have a slight advantage here in sealing. The advantage of the 3M filler is that it is really strong and will definitely work standing "proud" of the repair and that it cures faster. But, the color :)

Good luck.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Great thoughts. Yes some core material is showing. Color
may make a difference to me.

I’ll check them both out, look for any YouTube videos, etc.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 pm

They are not complicated to use. Mix as directed; apply (and use foil to shape surface to reduce need to reapply/sand).

Epoxy products need to be measured precisely and mixed well, polyester can accept some variation in the amount of catalyst (but affects how quick it cures).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement