Trailer Bunk Materials - Ultimate Bunk Boards

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer Bunk Materials - Ultimate Bunk Boards

Postby Nephroid » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:56 pm

I recently acquired a '72 DSII and am in the process of restoring the (likely original) trailer that it came one. One thing I want to do right away is to replace the currently 2x4 on end bunks with 2x6 or 2x8 boards laid flat.

I came across these solid HDPE boards made by a company called Ultimate Bunk Boards.

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Generally online reviews and forum posts seem positive. They initially seemed too pricey but, after looking pricing out some decent marine carpet, total cost seems pretty close. Since these have a longer service life, they may actually be cheaper in the long run.

Curious to see if anyone here has had any experience with them.
Nephroid

Re: Trailer Bunk Materials - Ultimate Bunk Boards

Postby GreenLake » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Would be curious, too.

I got a carpet remnant (either outdoor or vehicle, can't remember, medium gray, felt-like) and it's worked fine. Definitely cheap.

But the wood I used needs replacement eventually, perhaps every 10 years or so. So I can see the attraction.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TJDSII6630 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:46 pm

I replaced mine with treated 2x10's and the green outdoor carpet.

The HDPE boards may conform to the hull and spread the load better.

Teddy
TJDSII6630

Postby shroomer » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Small Boats Monthly https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/a-slicker-trailer/ had an article in the January issue showing the use of HDPE bunk boards and they sound good. Looks like a boat should slide off and on easily. I'm ready to try it but I'd like to hear if anyone in the forum has experience with it.
shroomer

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 am

My concern would be with grit embedding itself and turning the bunks into sandpaper. This could happen with the felt-like carpet I use, but any grit would not have a hard support, but be embedded in a flexible matrix.

I have a break back trailer, though, so I can tip the boat to a steeper angle for launching. Once the transom hits the water, the boat is lifted form the bunks and the front is supported by rollers. A slight resistance from the bunks is a feature, as the boat only moves after a slight shove.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement