Sanding paint killed sander

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Sanding paint killed sander

Postby marcusg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:24 pm

New problem - started doing my spring sanding, and ended up breaking the neighbor's rotary sander. All the blue dust (paint) collected into the part of the sander that velcros onto the sanding pad, and made it not stick anymore. How do people deal with all that dust so it doesn't break your tools? Do you use rotaries or something else? I still have some of that orange stripping stuff around but didn't have a great experience with it last season. Seems I'd need a ton of it and then would still need to sand.
-Marcus
marcusg

Re: Sanding paint killed sander

Postby GreenLake » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:41 pm

The thing to do is to use sanders that have holes for dust collection and can be hooked up to a shop vac. Then use sanding disks with matching hole patterns. That works really well to control dust. You still want to wear your dust mask.

I wouldn't use a rotary sander, only an random orbit one. Rotary sanders, where the disk spins can easily cut grooves. Random orbit sanders move the sanding disk in small, randomly overlapping circles. That is more controlled and as successive passes of the disk don't overlap, you avoid grooves.

To restore the disk, have you tried to vacuum it? That should work if it's just "filled" with dust. However, these disks do wear out after some use, and all bets are off it you continue to use it after there's some "slip".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby marcusg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks Greenlake. I'll probably just pick up a random orbital myself. Do you know anything about how to match up shop vac size to sander size? Do you need adaptors or something? Because I know we have different shop vacs with different size tubes.
marcusg

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:25 am

As a boat owner, you should be able to cobble up an adapter from a bit of epoxy and fiberglass (wrap it around a cardboard tube until it's cured). Or make one from a sheet of stiff plastic (yoghurt tub) rolled to size and attached with gorilla tape. The better the fit, the more convenient in use, but it does not have to be perfect.

Some sanders may come with adapters. Not sure there's any specific advice I can give you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement