bilge drain sealant?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

bilge drain sealant?

Postby bulldog39 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks in advance! I have to replace the missing bilge drain on my DSII and am wondering what I should use for sealant. 5200, 4200, Loctite marine sealant?? I am new to boating and this is a friendly place to get advice! Thanks again.
bulldog39

Re: bilge drain sealant?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:04 pm

3M 5200 and 4200 are adhesive sealants. They are appropriate if you want to glue things together while keeping the joint watertight. Think hull-deck joints and the like. Of the two, 5200 is forever - I'm convinced it has no place on a boat where sooner or later, anything you put on has to come off for maintenance/repair/replacement.

For a deck fitting that's bolted to the deck and where the task is to keep water out, use butyl tape. That never dries and can be removed when you need to replace the fitting.

For a joint that's clamped shut by bolts (which I imagine would be the case for your drain) a regular non-silicone caulk would work - just remember to not tighten it all the way until after it is partially cured, so you don't squeeze out all of it. You shouldn't need the adhesives and you'll thank yourself if you ever have to take out the drain again for repair or replacement.

Silicone sealants are something people warn about because if you get silicone into the gelcoat, it's tough/impossible to get out and nothing will stick to it (e.g. paint).

If the Loctite one is non-adhesive and non-silicone, it might work.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement