Mystery Structure

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mystery Structure

Postby barehanded » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 pm

As part of the ongoing restoration project I bit the bullet and replaced the void-fill in my DS1 flotation tanks. I can across something interesting in the tanks and I'm hoping someone might know what it is. I'm guessing it's something to do with the original fiberglass lay-up of the hull but have no clue other than that. In this picture you're looking down under the starboard bench seat, through the bulkhead cover. Way at the back you can see a tubular structure affixed to the inside of the hull.
StrangeStructure.jpg
StrangeStructure.jpg (234.26 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

There was one in both port and starboard tanks. If anyone knows I'd love to hear what they are.

It was a massive pain but I'm glad I got the replacement done. The open-cell foam blocks were completely saturated with water. Some of the blocks were about 3lbs. I'm a bit embarrassed I was sailing around with that much dead weight. This pic is just the foam from the port tank:
WetFoamBlocks.jpg
WetFoamBlocks.jpg (123.76 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

Being that heavy they were difficult to remove. I ended up making a "harpoon" with two long wood screws. Jam it in, twist to torque them against each other, and then heave-ho.
harpoon.jpg
harpoon.jpg (189.87 KiB) Viewed 2447 times

I replaced it all with the ol' Pink Panther closed-cell XPS foam. It only took about one and half 4x8 sheets. 1.5" thickness. I cut them into 4" x 6' strips and jenga'd them into the tanks. The remaining space I filled with 4"x4" chunks. It seemed much less expensive than the pool noodles.

She sails noticeably better now. The wallowing I felt is gone and she feels like a much younger boat!
Last edited by barehanded on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barehanded

Re: Mystery Structure

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:29 pm

Your guess at that tube is as good as any. If it's firmly attached, it might have served as an anchor point.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Mystery Structure

Postby Merlin-2977 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:54 pm

I hear a lot of flexing of the hull beneath the seats when I sail. Perhaps it was put in to stiffen the hull at that location?
Merlin-2977

Return to Repair and Improvement