Mounting eye strap to cuddy ceiling

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mounting eye strap to cuddy ceiling

Postby Beach4824 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am

How would you mount an eye strap to the ceiling of the cuddy? What would you use as a backer on top of cuddy deck? I want to reroute the centerboard uphaul and down haul through a pully system. Ive seen pictures of how the lines are routed but no photo or description of how the eye strap is fastened to the ceiling. Thanks
Beach4824

Re: Mounting eye strap to cuddy ceiling

Postby tomodda » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:32 am

Choose your poison.....

1) I have two pulleys (on eyestraps) on my ceiling, but I just screwed them into hefty wood backing pads that were already there for some pulleys on the topside of the cuddy. (See note below) Anyway, I have various sets of cleats, cam-cleats, and footblocks (pulleys) on my roof, so plenty of backing pads to choose from.

2) Bolt it thru the cuddy roof with some nice washers and an acorn nut on the topside (to avoid catching on anything). If you are expecting a very high load then I'd go with option 4 (although you wont' have more than 25ish lbs on your CB uphaul, would you?).

3) Epoxy some wood backing pads to the ceiling. Depending on faith in the Gougeon Brothers vs your tolerance for more holes in the roof, you may want to bolt the backing pads from the topside as well, effectively same as option 1. At least you wont have washers and bolts on the roof (option 2).

4) Put a flat stainless backing pad on the top of the cuddy. If I went this route, I suppose I'd use either a "flat strap" or a "flat tang", or just get some stainless flat bar and make your own (cut, grind, drill). You'll still need acorn nuts.

Note re: Pads: Since I'm not expecting a lot of force on my pulleys and I'm using offcuts of a tropical hardwood (read hard as hell + rot resistant) for my pads, I just used #10 wood screws to hold my eyestraps. If I was using a lesser wood, I'd have properly countersunk some bolt, nut, and washer combination.
tomodda

Re: Mounting eye strap to cuddy ceiling

Postby Beach4824 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:00 pm

Think I got it. Amazon sells SS braces. Ill use one of those with acorn nuts like you said. thanks
Beach4824

Return to Repair and Improvement