DS III Hull Indentation on Bunks

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS III Hull Indentation on Bunks

Postby DStoCruise » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:39 pm

Hi,

I am buying a DS III and just looked at two boats, both with big indentations in their hull where it rests on the bunk. Below is a photo of one boat that was not quite as bad. Is this a major repair? Should I pass on a boat like this? Will the boat come back to shape once I get it in the water?

I was able to lift the hull a little and some of the indentation flexed back. I think both boats were full of water on the trailer at some time. The owner of the first said it was, and the second had so much grass growing in debris over the scupper that it looked like a piece of sod when I pulled it out!

Thanks!
Attachments
DS_Hull.jpeg
DS_Hull.jpeg (217 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
DStoCruise

Re: DS III Hull Indentation on Bunks

Postby DStoCruise » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:06 pm

I just looked at this post and I think I messed up the attached photo. If you right click on the photo and open it in a new tab, you can see the whole photo and the indentation from the bunk. For some reason, only part of the photo is showing up.
DStoCruise

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:43 pm

You didn't mess up with the photo attachment. That's how they show, anyone can click on the photo and they jump to full size.

The bunks on that trailer are the issue: they need to be much wider. Having the hull flex back is a good sign. You want the boat for cruising (based on your user name) so your situation isn't critical as it would be for a racer.

Force n the water should be more distributed, so if it springs back on lifting, it shouldn't compress again the same way in the water. But you would want to fix the trailer.

What you shouldn't see is cracking, or laminate that is so soft that you can flex it (when lifted) by hand super easily.

PS: obviously using these boats as rain barrels makes the situation worse.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DStoCruise » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:49 am

Thanks for the info. Yes, I am hoping to cruise and teach my son how to sail.

The boat is pretty far away so I don't have time to go back and look again, but I do not think there is any cracking. The rest of the boat was in pretty good shape.

Would fixing this require me to cut out the seats to access the hull bottom? I am guessing that would be the process along with installing some stringers on the interior of the hull bottom. Do you think it would be possible to do such a repair by cutting a hole in the seat and then covering it with a commercially available hatch? I am not sure if that would provide enough room to do the work.

I am not sure if it would be better to pass on this boat and look for another.
DStoCruise

Postby DStoCruise » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:59 am

OK, I re-read your post and I guess you are saying the boat might be OK to use as it is?

That is really the issue for me. I am looking for something usable without major work. This is something for my son to use now and I can see any sort of project stretching out until winter.
DStoCruise

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:25 am

Some people have reported hull deflections that were temporary, i.e. that went away when boats were stored using proper bunks. So there's a good chance that this applies to the boat you are interested in. Form a distance, that's the best I can offer you. But that applies to much of the "remote diagnosis" of issues here on the forum: we can only suggest, you are the one who has the first-hand observation.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement