Centerboard Issue? Should I Panic?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Issue? Should I Panic?

Postby JoeCapeCod » Tue May 17, 2022 6:47 pm

Purchased a 1984 Daysailer II and have been getting it ready for the water. In order to paint the bottom have successfully lifted the boat above the trailer where it now happily sits high on stands. BUT...just to check it out I dropped the centerboard. Although the tip is resting on the ground, the angle of the board is such that just about all of it is exposed: only the forward corner is still hidden in the hull. But here's what has me worried: I reached into the boat (not wanting to climb in with it on stands) and tried to raise the board....and no way! I have tugged as hard as I can, stepping back toward the stern to get as straight a pull as possible, and also pulling with both hands close to where the line passes through a kind of low bulkhead to additional blocks, and I don't have the strength to lift the board not even an inch. I see tension increasing on the line as it enters the two-block system (one single one double) that runs along the cuddy floor, and I can see a bit of tension increasing on the wire cable that exits/enters the centerboard trunk a few inches up running parallel to the floor, but I simply can't make any progress at all. It may help to know that when we first jacked the boat up on the stands the board dropped a bit and we we were able to push it up by hand from underneath the boat and cleat it. I noticed that 1) the board is heavy and 2) it rocks a bit side to side. But it did go up with a strong push and stayed there once I cleated the uphaul. But as you might imagine my concern is that something is seriously wrong internally that is preventing me from lifting it, something I would not want to contend with once I am in the water. Maybe there is some kind of simple reason the board is so hard to get up that is escaping me...though I am an experienced sailor with lots of personal experience in lots of boats, I have no clue what might be happening. Given the way the board is completely hidden inside the hull, I am dreading big time that there may be a serious problem and one that might require the boat be taken to a yard. I hope I can hear from some wiser skippers out there who really know the Daysailer and can suggest what is going on. Maybe someone has some words of wisdom that will take my anxiety about this down a peg or two. Your thoughts please!
JoeCapeCod

Re: Centerboard Issue? Should I Panic?

Postby GreenLake » Tue May 17, 2022 10:11 pm

I am going to "lock" this topic, because you started a duplicate one in DaySailer II. Anyone interested in the discussion can follow the link.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement