Deck separation

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Deck separation

Postby pbobbitt » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 am

This weekend I noticed that the deck is beginning to separate from the hull.

The issue starts about a foot aft of the port chainplate, and extends aft about three feet.

I'm thinking I can just whip up some epoxy, and create a fillet at the joint behind the seat back... Maybe try to work it into the joint from the outside.

Anyone have any experience with this?
pbobbitt

Re: Deck separation

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:02 pm

You don't state which version DS you sail.

If you can access the deck-hull joint from the inside, a fillet and a layer of two of fiberglass tape should help reconnect the two. When using multiple layers, make each one narrower, to get a a bit of a stair-step taper.

A reason to inject some epoxy into the crack before you add the fillet would be to reduce any volume that could collect water subject to freezing. Obviously, that's not a concern in some places.

At the moment, I fail to imagine any conditions under which you would be better off working from the outside.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:15 pm

OK, I went back and looked at your earlier posts, and it seems you own a DS2.

Unlike a DS1, you need to create (or have created) some access to get to the joint from the inside. If that's already possible, or in your plans, then what I wrote above, holds.

From what I recollect from the few times I sailed on a DS2, the hull-deck joint is done a bit differently than for a DS1. Like other boats of similar vintage, the edge of the hull curves over (like a J hook) and the deck is laid on top of that, with the edge also curving down. The overlap should present a significant area of contact.

If you can't access the repair from the inside, but can access the place where the two hulls a separating from the outside, you may be able to glue them back together. Assuming there's enough contact area, this may be the one repair for which 3M 5200 is an option. As an adhesive, it should be powerful enough for the job and this is one place where you don't need about wanting to take the repair apart again in the future.

Or if not 5200, there may be other, similar products that are listed for use on hull-deck joints.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby pbobbitt » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:03 pm

Yeah sorry, it's a DSII.

I'll post some picks when I get closer to doing the repair. As it stands right now, it seems like the separation is occuring only on the outer rim. I notice it when I'm lifting the side of the boat when rolling it into the water off the dock.

I like the idea of using some 3M adhesive for that lip... thinking about it now, I think there may still be some remnants of it in there.

I've finally started getting the confidence to sail the thing solo the last couple of weeks... Still keeping it in light-moderate winds.
pbobbitt

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:25 am

Just ran into another DSII by chance and was able to confirm my understanding of the hull-deck joint.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement