Rivets on mast and boom

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rivets on mast and boom

Postby chapmro » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:08 pm

Unknown.jpg
Unknown.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
20230731_140314.jpg
20230731_140314.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
The prior owner of my boat did two things I am not so sure were good ideas. First, he moved the location of the vang attachment aft on the boom (to make room for a Boom Kicker, which I have no use for), leaving empty rivet holes where the vang attachment used to be. Second, he also replaced one of the cheek blocks on the side of the mast base because the sheave was shot (I think he had wire hayards for a while). When he did that, he didn't use the existing holes, but made new ones about 1/2" above the original holes. In both cases the old holes were just left open. Is this a problem? I don't see any cracking around the holes, just wondering if maybe I should put rivets in them? I think he also used aluminum rivets with non-stainless mandrels, as I can see them beginning to rust. Should I remove and replace those with monel rivets with stainless mandrels? I've attached photos showing both situations. I am inclined to get rid of the boom kicker entirely, and move the vang attachment back to where it was originally. Can anyone give me a part number for rivets that work for these holes? The diameter of the vang holess looks like 0.160", and the cheek blocks 0.190". Best way to remove existing rivets? Leave it alone? Thoughts on any of this?
chapmro

Re: Rivets on mast and boom

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:49 pm

By all means, plug your holes with rivets (aluminum, closed). The rust in the new rivets may or may not be more than an eyesore, so let that help decide you. remove rivets by drilling the head with a wider bit, stopping just short of drilling into the mast. But you'll lose the little bit on the inside (it will fall into the mast).

I would keep the boom kicker; you or the next owner may find a use for it. Low wind sailing, where the boom's weight creates too much pull, or keeping the boom level at the dock. basically anything you'd rig a topping lift for. I don't use one of those consistently, but have had situation where I've jury-rigged one, so those would be the situations I would use a kicker.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement