Bilge pump

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bilge pump

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:27 pm

Found this interesting video on a cheap way to set up a solar powered bilge pump, with dual use of the battery also for nav lights.
https://youtu.be/mP_dQClOic4?feature=shared

The bilge pump setup looks clever, but I'm not sure what to think of the suggestion to use LED strip lighting to mimic navigation lights. Proper nav lights have a restriction on the sector that they are illuminating, so that when you see them at night you know what (possible) direction the other boat may be pointing with respect to your boat.

For example, if you can see (only) the stern light, you are the overtaking boat and need to keep clear (sailboat or not).

However, I think you could use this system equally well with LED powered nav lights that are properly constructed (and configured for 12V).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Bilge pump

Postby cygtoad » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:08 pm

Interesting video. I like the lower cost solution.

I agree the LED strips are probably not ideal. There are definitely better LED options.

One thing I will never use again is the single piece deck mounted red and green bow lights. Those seem like a really good idea, but not on a sailboat, maybe on a motor dinghy. One summer I was out on the water watching the fireworks. The fireworks ended and all the motor boaters started their engines to head home. I was under sail and this motor boat just kept getting closer to me. I had my lights on, but the more I veered from his path the more he seemed to adjust his course to keep us on a collision course.

That is when I realized he probably could not see my bow light because the boat was under sail. It was heeled in the opposite direction from him. So the light was pointing toward the sky. I ran below and took my father's prior advice to shine a flashlight on my sail. You can't miss that. He must have been less than 100 feet from me when I heard him yell HOLY SH!@^! He immediately corrected course.

It really does matter where you mount them.
cygtoad

Re: Bilge pump

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:04 pm

You are correct. Visibility matters. A light in the sail, the brighter the better is a great last resort. Easy to carry one or better two high powered LED flashlights for that purpose.

For ordinary use I have a set of lights that I mount on a bracket that's snaps in front of the forestay. Also LED. Nicely visible in all orientations.
The lights are sold for kayaks and the bracket is my own design. Not shown is the connection. The lights are intended for a fitting that has a threaded rod. I drilled a hole in the center of the bracket and embedded a bolt with matching thread pattern. Now I can screw the lights to the bracket. The two prongs go around the forestay. And the bungee holds everything in place.

The lights do not interfere with sailing the boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement