DS2 inspection port replacement

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS2 inspection port replacement

Postby Chazdean » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:18 am

Hello. I have a ds2, the inspection ports have come loose. They were not screwed in prior, there are no deck holes and the holes are slightly elevated off the deck. I have questions on reinstallation:

1. Should i just clean the old adhesive off and use some new adhesive? If so which adhesive should I use?
2. Should I drill and screw/bolt instead?
3. I do not see a gasket in the threaded section, were they included in the original? If not could one be added without interfering with the seal?

Thanks for any help.
Chazdean

Re: DS2 inspection port replacement

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:15 am

I'm a bit confused about what you are describing.
This is the hole in my boat that I closed with an inspection port.
The part came with an outer ring that had a number of screws to hold it in place.

You would use a non silicone, non-adhesive sealant like Life Caulk from BoatLife. Or also Butyl tape.

The inner part is a lid that screws into the outer ring.
That part should have an o-ring seal either in the ring or the lid, can't remember.

It should be easy enough to find some images online. I apparently didn't take take any pictures of my install.
https://sea-dog.com/sc/RawData/Sea-Dog/Photos/4776
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Chazdean » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:58 am

GreenLake wrote:I'm a bit confused about what you are describing.
This is the hole in my boat that I closed with an inspection port.
The part came with an outer ring that had a number of screws to hold it in place.

You would use a non silicone, non-adhesive sealant like Life Caulk from BoatLife. Or also Butyl tape.

The inner part is a lid that screws into the outer ring.
That part should have an o-ring seal either in the ring or the lid, can't remember.

It should be easy enough to find some images online. I apparently didn't take take any pictures of my install.
https://sea-dog.com/sc/RawData/Sea-Dog/Photos/4776

Thanks for your reply!

Having trouble adding photos from my phone… The old ports (2 in cockpit floor beside the CB trunk) were never screwed in, as there are no holes in the cockpit floor. The ports do not have holes either. I am wondering if this is how it came from the factory and what kind of adhesive is appropriate to re apply. I think it is safe to assume i will need a new o-ring regardless, just have to find one that fits. Thanks again!
Chazdean

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:30 am

If these were never screwed in they must have been held in place by a more or less adhesive sealant.

Butyl tape would not work. Not sure how adhesive life Caulk would turn out. But there should be some adhesive Caulk.

There's 3M 4200. That would work but it may already be overkill. Whatever you do stay away from 5200.

The deck plates aren't that expensive, which means replacing them could be an option as well. That way you fix the o-ring issue and can upgrade to screws if you like. Also, the plastic does age a bit faster than the fiberglass of the cockpit.

One thing to consider is the state of the surface if you are trying to use adhesive. Sealant held in by screws is a bit more forgiving.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement