I put EVA foam on my DSII

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

I put EVA foam on my DSII

Postby Champlaner » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:42 pm

The old non-skid on my deck was dangerously slippery and chalky. Painting with additive seemed difficult with mixed results, so I rolled the dice and bought knock-off brand EVA. I did a lot of ciphering and figured 3 sheets of 900mm x 2400mm size would barely cover the entire non-skid on my DSII. A few pieces would have the grain running sideways.
I wanted the brushed style for easier sweeping and found a great deal on Wayfair ($50/sheet). It came with some serious ripples in the backing leaving a few air gaps on the non 3M adhesive. No testing was done, and no installation until all was cut. I used a large roll of paper for templating—tracing the edge of my old non-skid with the side of a crayon. For the rails, I stuck remaining scrap pieces on first, then cut in place. Foam cutting advice came from this fun video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E73AEz7t84E There is almost zero loss from cutting with the snap-off knife.
Placement was very easy by taping one end and the middle, slitting etc. Adhesion was no problem with only oxalic acid as deck prep. I used a hard rubber roller to work the glue but really had no bubbles. I feel like I could remove and re-place a piece if I needed to, yet I had no corners peeling after several months and outings.
I’m super happy with the results, both for cushioning and traction. Making a quick trip to the foredeck while underway is 20 times more relaxed than before. Water beads up like crazy but then evaporates that much faster. I didn’t get to test a heavy deck soaking, but I’ve hosed it off at home and it behaved as expected and dried in minutes.
The downside can be how dirt, dust, crumbs etc stay on the foam. I keep the boat fully covered with a 12’ x 20’ “polyester canvas” tarp at home. And my dirty crocs go in the well as I board. Problem solved. It’s easy to clean the foam but nice to avoid when you can. Trailering and sail camping are fine but I would want the boat covered other times.
And now that my boat looks spiffier, I guess it’s time to touch up my eyesore epoxy repairs. I bought some Tester’s enamel and will try to match it next spring.
20230814_192514.jpg
20230814_192514.jpg (115.5 KiB) Viewed 684 times

20230815_192954.jpg
20230815_192954.jpg (161.19 KiB) Viewed 684 times

20230815_193414.jpg
20230815_193414.jpg (173.92 KiB) Viewed 684 times
'77 DSII #8420
Champlaner

Re: I put EVA foam on my DSII

Postby RaleighRancher » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:01 pm

That looks really great. Hire long does the stuff last in UV, etc?
RaleighRancher

Postby Champlaner » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:16 pm

Yeah, I'm totally psyched and got lots of kudos at the ramp. EVA foam is rugged and UV resistant. It does dent (a lot, but temporarily) so I put cardboard under the rudder housing (bolt heads) for transport. The big name sellers say 5-10 years, but I think I'll be able to run it longer by always covering. In my late sixties so hoping.... I use squeeze clamps to keep tension on the tented tarp--quick and easy.
I was a little worried about the EVA edges where I had some bits hanging, but they really hold on. I did carefully heat seal the edges of the rails with a flat tip soldering iron. I was thinking of sealing the rest but ditched that plan after trailering and sailing a few times. I found that I could make repairs where the knife slipped with Gorilla crystal clear contact adhesive. Hold in place for 5 seconds and then cure a day.
I also used some matching high quality caulk (Tower Tech Acrylic Urethane) to fill/seal the joints where I joined pieces. I didn't want to space the pieces for yet another water channel or crumbs/dirt getting in there. Pic #1 is fuzzy but the floor to the right of the CB trunk is 3 pieces. The starboard rail is the only other place I had to piece together.

Speaking of which--here's a screen capture of my planning spreadsheet. I did not have much scrap afterward. Every piece is unique, including the opposing pieces on the foredeck and cuddy roof. Template each one. If you think you want this, do it!! Happy '24
--Nick.
EVA foam cutting planner.PNG
EVA foam cutting planner.PNG (26.49 KiB) Viewed 636 times

20230817_141759.jpg
20230817_141759.jpg (166.61 KiB) Viewed 636 times
'77 DSII #8420
Champlaner

Postby Champlaner » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:40 pm

Here's a (massive) link to a similar product on ebay without the faux teak. Great price. The brushed finish is better for when the grain is sideways, like on one side of my cuddy roof and part of the floor. Sorry, the link didn't paste well, but it works if you copy. --N.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185822750440?_ ... %3A4406038
'77 DSII #8420
Champlaner

Return to Repair and Improvement