resin types

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

resin types

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:03 pm

What type of resin is typically used in hull repair? The gouges are down to the cloth and about a 1/4" inch wide where the hull argued with dock hardware overnight. Should a person use polyester or epoxy resin. Marine bondo comes to mind. Any advice. Also I assume gelcoat is applied over this repair, or can gelcoat be used alone for a repair 1/8" inch thick as I have described above
Posts: 853
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Ninette Manitoba

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:28 am

If the gouges are not too deep I would use west system 105 resin and 206 hardener with 407 filler this will make a strong repair. First wet out the damage to rebind the damaged cloth with the epoxy and when it kicks to the point that it is tacky apply the epoxy and filler. When mixing the epoxy and filler it should be a peanut butter consistancy. West marine sell all the supplies, and there are excellent manuals for the repair available from them. If the gouges are very deep then a laminate patch may be required.

B.K. Harrison (

Return to Repair and Improvement

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests