Desireable upgrades

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Desireable upgrades

Postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2003 9:32 pm

Okay, pretend you are buying a Daysailer I in good shape, but with no upgrades at all. You have deep pockets and can add whatever you want to make it a nicer boat. Give me your list of desirable upgrades or accessories.

Ken Cobb (kcobb-at-blackwellsanders.com)

Postby Roger » Sun May 11, 2003 10:26 pm

Do you have a spinnaker, motor, hatchboards, compass, windex, jiffy reefing, topping lift, vang etc? Check your equipment against the parts list following the o'day links on the home page.
Roger

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon May 12, 2003 8:39 am

Assuming the hull is fair and stiff, I'd upgrade the following:
- Centerboard and rudder, including the rudder head
- Proctor Mast, Boom and Spinnaker pole
- Two new suits of sails: Main, Jib and Spinnaker from Cameron Sails (my local loft), North Sails or Jotz.
- Harken blocks, fairleads, etc., all around.
- Galvanized trailer with bearing buddies and extra bunks designed to distribute load evenly for long road trips.
- Boat covers from Sailors' Tailor to cover both top and bottom of the boat.
- Ritchie tactician compass, or perhaps a tack-tic micro.
-Davis Windex for the masthead

Since I don't sail in conditions where I'd use them, I wouldn't bother with a motor, reefing points, etc.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 11:33 pm

I had the same situation. Bought a '61 edition (1336) with a non-class mast and no rigging. What I did was start with mast and blades (of course class legal sails) and jib in-haul or barber haulers. Then I tried to become competent with that. When I could compete I found a used tapered mast. There's some disagreement if the expense is worth the gain, but.....I tried a mid boom traveler but lost several places in my racing using it. Went to a stern traveler that has in-board adjustment. Made sure the hull was stiff by glassing in PVC half cut pipe in ribs in the front third of the hull. Tried to learn how to use a compass. Finally got reasonably competitive, but start with blades, weight, and sails and practice, practice, practice.

Mark Schroeder

Mark Schroeder (mschroed-at-lane.k12.or.us)

Return to Repair and Improvement