DePersia bailer ball

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DePersia bailer ball

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:35 pm

What is the function of the bailer ball? I was cleaning out my boat the other day and discovered that I could pull the top of the DePersia plug out and see the ball below. I tried to get the ball out to clean it as well, but it seems to be held in by the same o-ring that snugs up the top of the plug. Is this a floating ball that acts as a plug for water wanting to come back in, or does it act as a pump by going up and down with the wave action thereby sucking water down and out?
Roger

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:46 pm

The ball is supposed to float up and seal against said o-ring, thereby preventing water from flowing back in. The newer plastic self-bailer works the same. In practice, sometimes it seals, sometimes...well!

Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Roger » Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:47 pm

My ball definately leaks! I also note that it is coated with some black gunk. It looks rough like the inside of a golf ball. I haven't been able to remove it to clean it, but will make a more desperate attempt on the weekend. Even at motor speeds of 10 knots, it didn't seem to be draining. I also don't think it floats, which may be part of the problem. Should it be smooth?

Also I note that when sailing, there is a fair amount of turbulance at the transom. Would this be previnting it from draining at less than planing speeds?
Roger

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:05 pm

Actually, mine barely floats, I think it is more a case where the ball gets "sucked" into the hole to stop the water from continuing to flow in. I don't know about the "black gunk", could be algae? Mine is partly painted with antifoulant since I moor in saltwater. I don't think you can get the ball out of there without removing the whole assembly from the boat or else breaking something. (Based on my plastic bailer, DePersia aluminum version may be diffrent?)
Min will usually drain as long as the boat is moving forward. The "turbulance" that you observed may be due to the bailer, but the bailer should be creating a sort-of hole in the water behind it and that should draw the water out.

Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Roger » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:42 pm

There is another guy with a DS 2 on the lake where I sail. He claims to have lost the top plug and ball of his self bailer but carries a small bag full of the right sized corks which he uses to plug the hole. He states that when under sail, (and with some water inboard) he simply pulls the plug and it drains as fast as a bathtub, then he recorks it. Perhaps it is that ball mechanism that makes the bailer act as a self filler at times, (referring to your comments in a different thread).
Roger

Postby Roger » Thu May 27, 2004 12:51 am

Rod,

I got a brainwave yesterday and applied my shop vac to the bailer ball! I removed the top plug first. I have the aluminum version of the DePersia bailer. You guessed it! Up it came and I was able to inspect it. It is indeed corroded, and made of metal, (definately a sinker) Given your previous post it should be a floater. Anyhow, I am leaving it out for now, and will just use the top part of the bailer to seal the it and pop it up when needed. I still don't quite understand the function of a metal ball. I sure understand why it should be plastic and floating. That would at least prevent water backing UP into the boat.
Roger

Postby psness » Thu May 27, 2004 8:07 am

I have a '79 DS II with a heavy steel fitting (somewhat corroded with ribbed edges and some illegible writing on top) that doesn't seem to screw but rather close/open slightly with a quarter-turn. It only comes up about 1/8 inch. Is this normal or should it completely unscrew? How did you get yours off? I don't want to break it but want to make sure it is working as it's supposed to before putting in the water for the first time.
psness

Postby Roger » Fri May 28, 2004 12:15 am

I'll send you a picture tomorrow of the top fitting. It is aluminum, but fairly chunky, so maybe the same as your. It is held in place by a rubber o-ring, I just pull it straight up. This exposes four quarter inch sized holes around the outside of this barrel plug that I pull up. If I pull harder, it pops off. Down the hole was the steel ball that I sucked up with the shop vac. If if forget to send you the pics send me an e-mail to remind me.
Roger

Postby psness » Fri May 28, 2004 7:41 am

I looked at mine last night and does say DePersia on the top and appears exactly as you described with the small holes around the shaft, except it only comes up about 1/8 of an inch. If, as you said, it should pull straight out then I'll apply some elbow grease.
psness

Postby gabond » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:48 am

I finally pulled out the top fitting yesterday from my 1974 DSII with a great deal of effoft--all gunked up with deposits. I boiled it in 1:1 white vinegar and water for 15 mins, then carefully scraped the surface and holes and under the knob itself with a small blade. I repeated this three times, b/c the solution boils off, and it came out pretty clean. Then I put vaseline on it--the most effective lubricant for aluminum--and put it went back in the drain without problem. Now seems to work fine,and goes up and down easily, catching the o-ring as required.
gabond

Return to Repair and Improvement